Export thread

Bad Boy Maverick vs Spartan RZ-HD

B

BlakeC

I'm looking at a 54" in both the Bad Boy Maverick & Spartan RZ-HD.
I can get them both for basically the same price(Spartan is $250 more otd)

I'm trying to read and compare all of the specs and getting overwhelmed.

We have a VERY rough clay yard with THICK grass, so I have been looking at the Bad Boy because it has full front/rear suspension.

BUT, I started reading about the drives and that's where I got hung up.
Spartan has "Parker HTE Transaxles - 10cc Drive Motors"
Bad Boy has "3200 Hydro-Gear® 10cc Integrated Transaxle"
-Is one better than the other?
-Im not familiar with the drive types so I don't know what I don't know

Here are links:
Spartan - https://spartanmowers.com/rz-hd/
Bad Boy - https://badboymowers.com/zero-turn-mowers/residential/maverick-lawn-mower

Any advice is very appreciated!

M

MParr

I would go with the Bad Boy. The reason is because it has a keyed ignition switch.

B

BlakeC

I would go with the Bad Boy. The reason is because it has a keyed ignition switch.
Good point! I hadn't even thought of that. Not really a deciding factor for me tho lol

B

bertsmobile1

Good point! I hadn't even thought of that. Not really a deciding factor for me tho lol
Spartan have not had any problems with the switch unlike Husqvarna but check the price of a replacement.
Just put a second one into a Husqvarna in less than 1 month
So that is over $ 1000 ( aus ) the customer has forked out on a mower with less than 200 hours on it .
No one in Oz can test the switch and from what I have been reading the same applies to the USA.

Similar problem with a Z-master, it's new module worked for 10 minutes then packed it in, so in this case it will stay bypassed
Same story , no one in OZ can test the Toro module either .
Have hear the same applies to Scags interlock module as well .

B

BlakeC

Spartan have not had any problems with the switch unlike Husqvarna but check the price of a replacement.
Just put a second one into a Husqvarna in less than 1 month
So that is over $ 1000 ( aus ) the customer has forked out on a mower with less than 200 hours on it .
No one in Oz can test the switch and from what I have been reading the same applies to the USA.

Similar problem with a Z-master, it's new module worked for 10 minutes then packed it in, so in this case it will stay bypassed
Same story , no one in OZ can test the Toro module either .
Have hear the same applies to Scags interlock module as well .
True, it's just something else that could go wrong, but I'm curious about the drives.

Spartan has "Parker HTE Transaxles - 10cc Drive Motors"
Bad Boy has "3200 Hydro-Gear® 10cc Integrated Transaxle"
-Is one better than the other?

H

hlw49

We sell mowers with both hydros in them not having any problems with either one.

B

BlakeC

We sell mowers with both hydros in them not having any problems with either one.
that's good to know!
is there a difference in either of them? is one heavier duty or higher end than the other?

M

MParr

that's good to know!
is there a difference in either of them? is one heavier duty or higher end than the other?
Both are light duty commercial units. The Hydro-Gear has a tad more torque. The Hydro-Gear uses a readily available HG52114 transmission filter.
I would still pick the Bad Boy over the Spartan.
One of the original Bad Boy partners split from Bad Boy and started Spartan. Spartan was very recently acquired by Toro.

H

hlw49

The Parker HTE Transaxle uses their own HT1000 oil with change intervals of 1000 hours. It is around the $30.00 to $40.00 a quart range. It holds around 1.5 quarts per hydro. Where as the 3200 Hydro-Gear uses 20W-50 engine oil at around $10.00 a quart and change intervals at 75 hours on the first change and then 500 hours after that. It holds around 2.25 quarts per hydro. The parker has a cartridge filter and the hydro-gear has an external screw on filter.

M

MParr

The Parker HTE Transaxle uses their own HT1000 oil with change intervals of 1000 hours. It is around the $30.00 to $40.00 a quart range. It holds around 1.5 quarts per hydro. Where as the 3200 Hydro-Gear uses 20W-50 engine oil at around $10.00 a quart and change intervals at 75 hours on the first change and then 500 hours after that. It holds around 2.25 quarts per hydro. The parker has a cartridge filter and the hydro-gear has an external screw on filter.
There are other acceptable oils but, the change intervals vary.
From Parker Service Manual:
• To insure maximum HTE/HTJ Series transmission performance and life, use a Parker qualified oil. HTE/HTJ Series transmissions come factory filled with Parker HT-1000 transmission oil. Oil change intervals depend on the type of oil used. Always change the filter when changing the oil.
Qualified Oils Number of hours
Parker HT-1000TM (P/N 406030) 1U.S. Gal. (3.8L) 1000 Castrol Syntec 5W50 500 Amsoil AW ISO 68 500 Shell TTF-SB 500 Other* 250
*Must be premium grade synthetic based engine oil with a minimum viscosity grade of 15W40

Another reason to pick the Bad Boy.

B

BlakeC

Thanks everyone! I am currently awaiting the delivery of my Bad Boy Maverick!
Anything I should watch out for on this or make sure I do?

M

MParr

Thanks every! I am currently awaiting the delivery of my Bad Boy Maverick!
Anything I should watch out for on this or make sure I do?
Congratulations!
Read the operators manual first.
Learn where everything is and control layout.
Make sure all the fluids are at the proper level before using.
Make sure you air cleaner is buttoned up tight.
Adjust the control levers to suit you.
Make sure your unit is tracking correctly.
Adjust tire pressure to correct psi.
Level and pitch your deck as laid out in the manual.
What engine did you choose?
What deck size?

S

Snowman8732$

I mean I'm seriously just blown away flabbergasted mind blown at everything I've just read I purchased a bad boy last year and I took it back within 12 hours of owning it they don't even make it where you can adjust the light bars to go faster than the 5 mph 6 mph it goes it was probably the worst of the team that I tried out until I found the best company in the world which is Spartan there is no other comparison to it I just recently bought a earrings Apex from somebody on marketplace for super cheap just so I can sell so I can upgrade my Spartan to a bigger Spartan and I put the Ariens Apex which has commercial grade hydro and your answer for your hydras you don't want Hydra gear any transaxle with hydros on it is going to have gear reduction which means you're not going to go as fast as it says it says it'll go when you're cutting or going uphill or going through tall grass with Parker's you don't have gear reduction or you'll have up to at least 25% less gear reduction even my RZ residential went 3 mph faster than the Apex and the Apex could not make it up half the hills that my Spartan can make it up I can drive the Spartan with one hand and cut a yard flawlessly and never have to use my other hand because the light bars are so precise and accurate with the GT track the comfort is not a comparison nor is anything about bad boy and Spartan except but the brothers owned that boy and one split off and made a better company Spartan they go faster they have 10 times more commercial grade parts for I have is cheap as bad boy I would put $10,000 I would bet anything of mine I would bet my Spartan I put my Spartan up against any bad boy on the market and my Spartan will sit right beside it and do better if not just as good even if it's a $10,000 bad boy my RZ Spartan will outdo it in any test you would like to put it to sorry that you got all this bad information from all these people but in Spartan has a lifetime warranty on the leading the edge of the deck which means the whole mower pretty much has a lifetime warranty oh and it has a PTO switch lifetime warranty but she never heard of that and they also send you a box with hat koozie pen stickers and piece of paper saying over to the Spartan family no other motor company in the world does that and find another company that has an interstate battery on their mower besides Spartan no one had that find one that has keyless personal key code to start and stop it I think one other company has that just put one Barton beside a bad boy and just look at it and I mean oh my God I just can't believe any of the stuff I started to read but I didn't even read it because I would have just got more mad and just blown away at how dumb people are or uneducated they are but Spartan will take a s*** on bad boy all day any day even their smallest rzc that goes 8 miles an hour I guarantee you can't find a bad boy for under $9,000 that goes 8 mph and it still won't do 8 mph cutting because of the gear reduction rzcs and rzs the residential Spartans they have tough torque stainless steel charge pumps so they don't lose your reduction near as bad so they still go 9 miles an hour and rzc their smallest residential 3500 mower with a 7 gauge deck goes 8 mph that's their 42 in I believe bad boys $7,000 42-in MZ rambler or whatever they just came out with I think it goes 5 miles an hour cutting anybody that can say bad boy was better than Spartan has not done any research and doesn't know that Robert Foster who started Spartan invented bad boy!! And got it before his company became another box store piece of crap like bad boy has become I think they're only more that actually goes as fast as the $4,000 RC that I have which is 9 mph is like they're 10 or 12,000 mower my bad boy lol not to mention the spindles that they put on Spartans as well are the same as the ones on $30,000 commercial tractors

S

Snowman8732$

Congratulations!
What deck size?
Dude none of y'all have obviously on the Spartan I owned a bad boy last year for a whole 12 hours before I took it back it was the worst out of the 10 mowers that I tried before I found the best company in the world which was Spartan which I found out was made by the guy who made bad boys and his brother was going more towards the box store crappy s*** so Robert told his brother to buy him out and he went right across the street and open there Warehouse and Spartan takes the biggest s*** on every bad boy in the world my $4,600 RZ goes 9 mph you can't find a bad boy under 8 or 9,000 mi dollars that goes 9 mph and there's no gear reduction in any of the Spartans and not to add the 20 extra commercial grade parts on the Spartans and you can drive a Spartan with one hand all day and not use the other hand they're so accurate I would literally bet every dollar I have in the world and put it up against your bad boy and my Spartan will take the biggest steamy pile of s*** on your bad boy I don't care if it's a 15,000 one my $4,600 Spartan will outperform yours and every test there is no comparison apples to f****** white dog s*** on the ground is where you are comparing and colored telling this kid that the white dog s*** is better than the f****** gold

S

Snowman8732$

Wow😬 if you could ever give somebody the worst opposite wrong information y'all did an amazing job kid probably spent three extra $3,000 and got 10 less commercial grade parts and it's going a whole lot in 5 mph putting around on that be what pokey hard to drive because this lap bars are the weirdest lap bars are not mention you can't adjust them or the f****** speed you can adjust you don't have to adjust that bars on Spartans they're so accurate you can drive with one hand all day everyday you can jack off with other hand while driving perfectly fine with the Spartans and they they're smallest one goes 8 mph and then the next five or six go nine miles an hour and this is while cutting because they have The parkers no gear reduction see all those other mowers that have your hydro gears they say they go to this 8 mi an hour or they only go to six or five and a half cutting bad boys might go that's why I took mine back last year within 12 hours I'm actually about to go get two more Spartans there's smallest basic plain Jane 42-in cheapest mower comes with a Briggs commercial 25 horsepower five step debris management system and fuel pressure lubrication with spin on oil filter or you can get a Kawasaki fr691v on it which comes on like an Ariens Apex that's$6600 lol damn dude I hate that I didn't see this but yeah all these people told you horrible information I would love to meet any of these people and put my Spartans out of their bad boy and just show them how wrong they are the smallest Spartan that's 3500 comes with a commercial 25 horse power five step debris Briggs and Stratton letter or a Kawasaki fr691v which comes on like $7,000 commercial mowers not to mention all Spartans have 13x6x650 front wheels and the back wheels are like 22 in and then the bigger ones are 24 in but all of them have the big boy 13650x6 front wheels there's no comparison here Spartans gold and bad boy is a big steamy pile of you know what

S

Snowman8732$

Spartan mowers tell you the difference between your mowers and your engine hours I could have just stopped right there or that they go 9 miles an hour there residential ones by the way that's why I'm cutting because there's no gear reduction in any of their mowers so you can cut full speed through 3 ft tall grass going 9 mph with your phone plugged up in the phone charger and have a job timer set if you have a worker cutting the yard you know how long it took him to cut if there was a comparison Spartan is gold and bad boy is the lint in a homeless guys pockets

S

Snowman8732$

Spartan mowers tell you the difference between your mowers and your engine hours I could have just stopped right there or that they go 9 miles an hour there residential ones by the way that's why I'm cutting because there's no gear reduction in any of their mowers so you can cut full speed through 3 ft tall grass going 9 mph with your phone plugged up in the phone charger and have a job timer set if you have a worker cutting the yard you know how long it took him to cut if there was a comparison Spartan is gold and bad boy is the lint in a homeless guys pockets

S

Snowman8732$

Love how it calls me a newbie sounds like everybody in here is a newbie because they have not done any research guarantee none of y'all know that DeWalt bought MTD and pretty much every motor company out mtd which is Craftsman John Deere Troy built, cub cadet, Husqvarna, probably BAD BOY AS WELL LOL not Spartan THOUGH THEY SAID THEY NEVER SELL OUT THEY WILL ALWAYS BE INDEPENDENT

S

Snowman8732$

Congratulations!
What deck size?
Why? Lol it goes 4mph he can't hurt the mower much less himself lol

M

MParr

@Snowman8732$
Have your hired a publisher yet?
Do you sell Spartan mowers for a living?

M

MParr

Love how it calls me a newbie sounds like everybody in here is a newbie because they have not done any research guarantee none of y'all know that DeWalt bought MTD and pretty much every motor company out mtd which is Craftsman John Deere Troy built, cub cadet, Husqvarna, probably BAD BOY AS WELL LOL not Spartan THOUGH THEY SAID THEY NEVER SELL OUT THEY WILL ALWAYS BE INDEPENDENT
There is quite a bit of false information in the above statement. ☝️

M

MParr

Research shows that Spartan Mowers has been acquired by Toro.

D

DK35vince

Snowman8732$ makes me want to never consider Spartan again with that BS rant.

R

RayMcD

Maybe you should go look at something different, perhaps a "BOBCAT" Cheers, r

B

bertsmobile1

The forum calls you a newbie base purely on the number of times you post.

I honestly can not see the point of this tirade apart from perhaps your medication is letting you down.
Stanley / B & D own MTD
Husqvarna is still owned by Husqvarna
John Deere is of course still John Deere and will be till the sun stops shining or we pollute ourselves to death
Bad Boy is Independent
And Spartan was sold to Toro.
Any fool could see what the game plan was with Spartan
They could not keep making mowers of that quality for the price they were selling for
It was a scam from day one to take enough sales from the major players so as to force one of them to buy you out at massive profit, or better still get a couple of companies into a bidding war
This is a common trick in transport .
A small company with a small turnover and a good line of finance can set standards that major players can not meet competatively then get them to buy you out .
Hopefully Toro will continue the range but I suspect they will shut the whole thing down in due course.
Great Danes were similar way too good a build for the asking price .

M

MParr

Thank you @bertsmobile1 !

M

MParr

It got kind of quiet all of the sudden.

S

Snowman8732$

Nope but would love too hate everybody doesn't take the spartan advantage, they would never go to another mower again

M

MParr

Nope but would love too hate everybody doesn't take the spartan advantage, they would never go to another mower again
So, you are not a Spartan dealer?
Anyway, I never see a Spartan mower in this section of Georgia. I don’t think many people would like that trouble prone starter pad. I don’t even know of any dealers in this area.
Here’s a list of what’s riding the trailers around here and the order of popularity.
#1: Gravely
#2: Exmark
#3: Scag
#4: Hustler
#5: Bad Boy
#6: John Deere
#7: Toro
#8: Dixie Chopper
#9: Grasshopper
There are a few Kubotas around. Those are mostly diesel.
After Toro bought out Spartan, It wouldn’t surprise me if Toro didn’t end the brand all together.

B

BlakeC

Update:
Besides the insane rant about that Spartan... I still have not received my Bad Boy Maverick yet. I ordered in early March 2022(year is important in case this carries over to 2023) but there is apparently a world wide shortage on engines for the model I chose.
It's not just an issue with Bad Boy, it's an issue with every manufacturer.
I'm going to stick it out though. Currently, I have no mower and just borrow my in-laws'. This cub cadet will just make me appreciate the bad boy more!

M

MParr

Update:
Besides the insane rant about that Spartan... I still have not received my Bad Boy Maverick yet. I ordered in early March 2022(year is important in case this carries over to 2023) but there is apparently a world wide shortage on engines for the model I chose.
I'm going to stick it out though. Currently, I have no mower and just borrow my in-laws'. This cub cadet will just make me appreciate the bad boy more!
What engine did you order?

B

BlakeC

What engine did you order?
Kohler, but none of them are available right now. I called Bad Boy too and they said they keep getting promised inventory but a fraction of that will show up. They literally have mowers sitting there waiting for engines. My dealer was supposed to get 21 mowers last month and 5 showed up. They were supposed to get another shipment shortly after that but none showed up!

M

MParr

Dang, that’s terrible.
It appears that a local dealer in my area has a few Maverick HD models with Honda and Kawasaki engines.

S

Snowman8732$

That has to be the first dumbest thing I've ever heard i have a Spartan and it blows all bad cos out the water lol and i have a residential lol

M

MParr

That has to be the first dumbest thing I've ever heard i have a Spartan and it blows all bad cos out the water lol and i have a residential lol
I’m happy for you. Spartans are an endangered species in my part of the country. Sighting one would be a amazing thing. In fact, the only Spartan dealer within a 50 mile radius has stopped stocking them. They now only sell Bobcat and Husqvarna zero turns. Toro has bought out the Intimidator Group. Will Toro continue with the brand?
I doubt that your residential Spartan blows “all” Bad Boys out of the water.

B

BlakeC

UPDATE:
I see the rants of a madman continue.
Meanwhile, still no news on the mower I ordered. HOWEVER, they did offer me a 2022 Maverick HD 60" w Honda engine at cost. Even at cost, it's still $1k+ above what I was planning to pay for the standard Maverick.
I only have 1.5 acres so the Maverick I originally ordered is already overkill. I think I will still holdout for he one I ordered.
Contemplating stepping down to a ZT Elite, but I really want that 4 wheel suspension on the Maverick w my bumpy clay yard.
Update:

M

MParr

UPDATE:
I see the rants of a madman continue.
Meanwhile, still no news on the mower I ordered. HOWEVER, they did offer me a 2022 Maverick HD 60" w Honda engine at cost. Even at cost, it's still $1k+ above what I was planning to pay for the standard Maverick.
I only have 1.5 acres so the Maverick I originally ordered is already overkill. I think I will still holdout for he one I ordered.
Contemplating stepping down to a ZT Elite, but I really want that 4 wheel suspension on the Maverick w my bumpy clay yard.
The Maverick HD has a MSRP of $2,000 more than the MSRP of the regular Maverick. Do you have any Gravely, Ariens, Hustler, Big Dog, Husqvarna, Red Max, or Bobcat dealers near you?
I would mention Toro but, their inventory is low everywhere.
Where are you located?

B

BlakeC

The Maverick HD has a MSRP of $2,000 more than the MSRP of the regular Maverick. Do you have any Gravely, Ariens, Hustler, Big Dog, Husqvarna, Red Max, or Bobcat dealers near you?
I would mention Toro but, their inventory is low everywhere.
Where are you located?
I'm actually getting the standard Maverick for about $700 below the current promo price. Cash discount + I may have gotten my order in before prices went up. Whatever the reason the price is so low, that's why I'm trying to hold out for my initial order.

They did just confirm my mower IS being delivered next week!

M

MParr

I'm actually getting the standard Maverick for about $700 below the current promo price. Cash discount + I may have gotten my order in before prices went up. Whatever the reason the price is so low, that's why I'm trying to hold out for my initial order.

They did just confirm my mower IS being delivered next week!
That’s good news!

B

BlakeC

It finally came! They ended up knocking another $300 off for me. Now we just need some rain so I can actually use it!
20220628_180320.jpg
20220628_181104.jpg

M

MParr

I like it! Is that a Kohler ZT740?

B

BlakeC

I like it! Is that a Kohler ZT740?
Thanks! Yes it it.

M

MParr

Thanks! Yes it it.
I have the same engine on my Gravely Pro Turn 260. There’s not quite 70 hours on mine and it’s been flawless. Make sure that you service the air filter every 25 hours and change the filter and foam pre-filter at 100 hours. To make things easier, pick up some foam filter oil in a spray can.

B

BlakeC

I have the same engine on my Gravely Pro Turn 260. There’s not quite 70 hours on mine and it’s been flawless. Make sure that you service the air filter every 25 hours and change the filter and foam pre-filter at 100 hours. To make things easier, pick up some foam filter oil in a spray can.
Thanks for the advice! I still haven't been able to use it yet. I needed to mow every 3-4 days when it was on order and we're in the middle of a drought when it shows up! 🤣
Planning on the initial oil change after 10 hours, then I will probably just have the dealer service it every spring. They are just down the road so they will pick up/drop off for free.

R

RayMcD

Looks nice, you could always get a real mower, go "BobCat". I hope it servers you well, let us know how it does in a year. cheers, r

S

slomo

you could always get a real mower, go "BobCat"
Bob's cats don't even make the grade around here. It's all SCAG, Snapper Pro and Toro around these weeds.

M

MParr

Bob's cats don't even make the grade around here. It's all SCAG, Snapper Pro and Toro around these weeds.
I think mower popularity varies from region to region. There aren’t many Bobcats around here. Gravely, Exmark, Scag, Hustler, Bad Boy, and John Deere are the main players around here. The order that I listed is pretty close. Gravely is #1 around here.

M

MParr

@BlakeC
If you can find Sunbelt XHT blades in your area, here is a blade that works really well on warm season grasses. I use these blades on my Gravely and there isn’t one Bahia grass seed stalk left standing.

B

BlakeC

I think mower popularity varies from region to region. There aren’t many Bobcats around here. Gravely, Exmark, Scag, Hustler, Bad Boy, and John Deere are the main players around here. The order that I listed is pretty close. Gravely is #1 around here.
Yea, I've never seen a BobCat around. Didn't even know BobCat made zero turns until I saw a Facebook ad 🤣
I have a Spartan dealer 5 miles West of me and a Bad Boy dealer 5 miles East.
I see a lot of Cub Cadets, Husqvarna, John Deere, Simplicity, and Ferris. Scags here and there too, but pretty rare.

S

slomo

I'll pass on the cancer blades LOL.

1656857813429.png

B

BlakeC

@BlakeC
If you can find Sunbelt XHT blades in your area, here is a blade that works really well on warm season grasses. I use these blades on my Gravely and there isn’t one Bahia grass seed stalk left standing.
I'll definitely keep those in mind. I just need something rock proof now. We're all clay here.. it's bumpy af, you can literally watch the grass grow when it's humid, but the rocks seem to grow about as quickly too! I always have a few rocks I have to keep an eye on and dig out when they become too tall. The last "rock" I pulled out was the size of a football on the surface and ended up being the size of a beach ball

S

slomo

If I were in the market for a 0-turn, SCAG all the way. These lawn crews around hear beat the snot out of them. And watching those overgrown Sheriff notice HOA pissed off grass too tall videos on YT, best cutters are SCAG. One dude has a Deere that does well in the tall stuff.

Around here Bad Boy, Hustler, Scrub Cadet and Husky are sitting at the pawn shops looking for an owner. You guys are right about brands being a regional thing.

R

RayMcD

View attachment 61329
You know CA puts a cancer waring on just about everything, honestly I wonder how there is anyone left in the Left Wing Slum... Cheers, Ray

B

BlakeC

View attachment 61329
🤣🤣🤣 I'm sure they're fine. Just don't grind them and breath them in for years on end. Have you ever read the requirements for the P65 warning? I'm in the gun industry so we had to read up on it. It's such a joke. According to California, life itself basically needs a P65 warning. Some chemicals require it if it's at 1 THOUSANDTH the level it's known to POTENTIALLY cause issues.

M

MParr

If I were in the market for a 0-turn, SCAG all the way. These lawn crews around hear beat the snot out of them. And watching those overgrown Sheriff notice HOA pissed off grass too tall videos on YT, best cutters are SCAG. One dude has a Deere that does well in the tall stuff.

Around here Bad Boy, Hustler, Scrub Cadet and Husky are sitting at the pawn shops looking for an owner. You guys are right about brands being a regional thing.
Most of the pawn shop mowers that you listed are originally purchased at big box stores. You want find a Bad Boy Maverick at a big box store.

R

RayMcD

Yea, I've never seen a BobCat around. Didn't even know BobCat made zero turns until I saw a Facebook ad 🤣
I have a Spartan dealer 5 miles West of me and a Bad Boy dealer 5 miles East.
I see a lot of Cub Cadets, Husqvarna, John Deere, Simplicity, and Ferris. Scags here and there too, but pretty rare.
On the real lawn service trailer (not the 10' trailers behind F150s) I see most Exmark, Scag, JD and a few BobCat. Honestly I don't see anything at the BOX stores I'll even give a wink at. I've a near 20 year old Cub rider that has been a trouper but have not intentions of another.
I recently had a gentleman approach me at the local HD, he was interested in a Zero turn and was comparing the CC and JD that was in stock. I wished him the best and suggested a visit to several of the local dealers to obtain a much better product. I don't need anyones junk right off the trailer, anything that has flat or no bearings in the front axle qualifies as JUNK...