Export thread

backfires

A

ansoda

have a series 18 snapper rear engine rider that has started backfiring/surging.have replaced carb. solenoid (used). no help.where do i go next. what controls the solenoid? its a 14.5 hp. briggs. if i disconnect solenoid while running the engine stops. 2 wires to solenoid.

S

shiftsuper175607

have a series 18 snapper rear engine rider that has started backfiring/surging.have replaced carb. solenoid (used). no help.where do i go next. what controls the solenoid? its a 14.5 hp. briggs. if i disconnect solenoid while running the engine stops. 2 wires to solenoid.

Your solenoid is good.

Check valve lash clearances...OHV engine?

Need engine numbers, please

B

bertsmobile1

Surging on a governed engine is always caused by insufficient fuel being available to maintain the governed speed.
So you either have a blockage in the fuel system, including the fuel tank & vent system or an air leak after the fuel has been added to the air stream going into the engine.
A small amount of water in the float bowl can also cause surging .

To eliminate air leaking in get a trigger pack of WD 40 or similar ( better value than a spray can in any case ) and with the engine running spray all around the carb manifold.
A properly sealed engine will show no difference.

For the rest is is a matter of cleaning and checking the tank can vent ( loosen the cap )