B&S v-twin dripping gas from carb

Sean2202

Threads
Greetings, I have a B&S v-twin vanguard model# 356447 code #06062211 type #0200-E1. The engine has about 3000 hrs on it.
Today it has seemed to develop a drip of gas from a vent on the outside of the carb. What may be the cause of this? Stuck float? Fuel shut off valve not operating properly? Please help me understand if what I have read is correct. It is my understanding that on older engines/ carbs they had this outside vent and we could see if gas was leaking. On newer models because of EPA the vent is on the inside so gas drips into the engine.

1. What causes this drip?
2. Can a older carb, or carb top with a vent be adapted to fit on a newer B&S engine of the same variety so we can see if gas is leaking and not going into the cylinder unnoticed?
3. At what time frame as in hours on a machine is it advisable to replace carb gaskets, float valves, etc.?

Thanks for any helpB&S carb leak.jpg

Tinkerer200

Threads
Greetings, I have a B&S v-twin vanguard model# 356447 code #06062211 type #0200-E1. The engine has about 3000 hrs on it.
Today it has seemed to develop a drip of gas from a vent on the outside of the carb. What may be the cause of this? Stuck float? Fuel shut off valve not operating properly? Please help me understand if what I have read is correct. It is my understanding that on older engines/ carbs they had this outside vent and we could see if gas was leaking. On newer models because of EPA the vent is on the inside so gas drips into the engine.

1. What causes this drip?
2. Can a older carb, or carb top with a vent be adapted to fit on a newer B&S engine of the same variety so we can see if gas is leaking and not going into the cylinder unnoticed?
3. At what time frame as in hours on a machine is it advisable to replace carb gaskets, float valves, etc.?

Thanks for any helpView attachment 43568

Sounds like time to clean carb and install a new float needle. IF you are thinking the solenoid on the bottom of the carb float bowl is supposed to shut off gas, it does not. It only cuts the flow to the main metering jet in the carb NOT the flow of gas into the carb. After cleaning carb and installing new float needle I would add a manual gas line shut off valve and use it always. Be sure to check the oil for possible gas contamination, if in doubt, change the oil. I would not mess with trying to adapt a different carb.

I can send you a Service Manual IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Sean2202

Threads
Thanks for the reply and the clarification on the fuel solenoid. After removing the needle valve and comparing it to a good one I can see a slight wear ring where it may not sit perfectly stopping the flow of fuel. I installed a new needle valve and removed the fuel hose to carb and blew air through it via mouth to see if it restricted flow and seemed to work well. I cleaned carb and installed new gaskets and seems to work well. Also I checked the oil for gas and was at proper level and had no smell. The machine does have a shut off valve. I do use them on machines that are not run everyday in the fleet and storage for winter.

Thanks for the service manual link here is the info

Engine Model 356447
Engine Type 0200-E1
Code 06062211

Here is my e mail Sean@manchestercountryclub.us

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
"The machine does have a shut off valve. I do use them on machines that are not run everyday in the fleet and storage for winter."

Well that doesn't do a whole lot of good. Reminds of an incident 7-8 years ago. I serviced an old mower for a lady. I cautioned her to use the manual gas shut off as even though I had replaced the float needle and seat that these still had a tenancy to leak at that age. Well a few months later she called me that her mower would not start. When I went to her house the mower was sitting by the house. The engine was frozen. The oil was full of gas. When I reminded that I had told her to always turn the gas off when the engine wasn't running she said, " But I just went into the house for a cup of coffee".

Walt Conner

Sean2202

Threads
I agree with you. In a perfect world I would love the staff to shut the gas off after every use and I do on my own equipment, the problem is having 20+ workers and close to 70 pieces of equipment that they could run at any time or any day. Some times they even forget to turn the key off and the battery gets drained overnight. We run some mowers 7 days a week in the spring through the fall. Now I have experienced "gas in the oil" and the engine started to have weak compression on one side (I assume this was the culprit over 3k hrs again). I actually have tags on some equipment that say "turn off fuel." Sometimes they do it but I always double check after the staff.

Is there a time frame (hrs) when needle valves should be replaced as PM?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A little trick that can work is to put the mower key on a keyring big enough to sit over the shut off valve
Then it becomes a manditory task to turn the mower off remove the key and hang it over the shut off valve lever.
Do it after some one "can't find the !#!#!#!# ignition key" so they think it is for their advantage.
i bought 1000 3" rings and try to get my customers to remove the key & hand it over the dip stick so they will always know where it is and some even remember to check the oil