Export thread

B&S replacement question

S

Stillpoint

I need to replace the motor on our DR brush mower and had a question I hope someone with more knowledge can help me with. The old engine was a 31S877-0005-G1. According to Briggs and Stratton the direct replacement is a 31S977-006-G1, which is 17.5 HP and costs somewhere between $1200-$1600. B&S also confirmed that a 33S877-0019-G1, which is 19 HP more and about half the cost, will work.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason to go with the more expensive option here? I'm happy (ok...maybe not happy, but willing) to pay more for the right equipment, I just want to make sure I'm getting bang for my buck. I'm assuming there are some other variables at play, I just don't know what they are and any help would be greatly appreciated.

B

bertsmobile1

You can swap any engine over provided that the PTO shafts are the same length & diameters .
Some have different alterrnators but they al mount the same so you can swap the new one for the old one if the new one is smaller capacity .

S

slomo

I would buy the same machine off facebook marketplace or craigslist for pennies on the dollar.