B&S 500 series motor won't stay running

archcycle said:
I'm not sure if the spring gets taut when I start it but it is definitely loose when the motor is at rest. Should it be taut at rest? If so it has plenty of length in the straightened parts to adjust it.

Yes the spring should always be taught at rest.

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA
 
The bottom of the gas tank was Very varnished so I soaked that for a while. Cleaned more, blew out with more air, reassembled, and it fired right up on the first pull!

Thanks a lot for the help
 
No problem. When I first became a mechanic lawn mowers were a pain for me to work on because I specialize in two cycle equipment but once you get used to working on them all day you get the hang of it. Glad I could help.

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA
 
I have the exact same issue, but the mower is just a year old, probably only run 20 times. I took it apart and the diaphram and gasket looked perfect. If you wish the primer bulb after it starts, then it will stay running for 1-2 seconds after each press.... Sounds like the fuel isn't being picked up, but all looks good. Any ideas?
 
I have the exact same issue, but the mower is just a year old, probably only run 20 times. I took it apart and the diaphram and gasket looked perfect. If you wish the primer bulb after it starts, then it will stay running for 1-2 seconds after each press.... Sounds like the fuel isn't being picked up, but all looks good. Any ideas?

check for any uneven surfaces betwen the 2 peices. also make sure that when you put it back together that the screws equally tight. if not, you can be pulling air from around any point where they come together. also take the rubber piece and with a bright light behind it check for the possibility of a pin hole
 
Back
Top