Export thread

B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

W

Wegdeone

The backstory...found a crankcase oil leak, decided to keep a check on it and finish the small amount had left to cut. Since it would only take less than 10 minutes. I shut the mower and motor off to move some things and when I returned the ignition didn't work, turn the key, nothing. Jumped starter to battery it started right up so I put it away. I changed the crankcase gasket and other seals, re-assembled all and it won't start. No response at all turning the key, turns over like crazy when I jump it but will not fire. I also replaced one head gasket since I took it apart looking for the leak. To answer any "did you" questions before hand....

Crank/cam timing marks were right when reassembled
Double checked all carb linkages correct
adjusted governor
it has spark
checked and replaced ingnition coil/solenoid
it's getting fuel
Checked (multimeter)/cleaned ingnition switch
checked seat safety switch
checked power to carb solenoid
checked action of carb solenoid
cleaned flywheel contacts and gapped contacts

I think that's everything...I am out of ideas.
Again...turn the key, nothing (hour meter readout doesn't even show), jump it, it turns over find, does not fire, one or two backfires, even using starter fluid, no luck.

Boobala

Boobala

Re: B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

A few more things I would check ...... Battery cables on the right terminals ..?? Flywheel keyway .. ?? Ignition switch ..??

W

Wegdeone

Re: B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

All good. Flywheel fine. Battery correct. Ignition switch cleaned and checked with a meter in all positions, I even installed a new one before I found the pin out diagram to check the old one.

S

shiftsuper175607

All good. Flywheel fine. Battery correct. Ignition switch cleaned and checked with a meter in all positions, I even installed a new one before I found the pin out diagram to check the old one.

Something is unplugged, wired wrong, or blown fuse.
Evidently the ingnition coil is grounded.

It was firing before...it is not now.

W

Wegdeone

Coil grounded yes, fuse checked on a multitester good, I ever cleaned out the fuse holder with contact cleaner. I checked and cleaned all the connections. Yes before the oil leak fix, even when the ignition stopped working it fired right up when jumped.

T

Tinkerer200

Suggest you unplug the "Kill wire" harness at the base of each coil and try it. Sounds to me like a bad harness.

Walt Conner

W

Wegdeone

Suggest you unplug the "Kill wire" harness at the base of each coil and try it. Sounds to me like a bad harness.

Walt Conner

No luck...both disconnected, same result

S

shiftsuper175607

No luck...both disconnected, same result

What do you mean by..."coil grounded, yes.

I was making the point the coil should not be grounded.
When the key is turned to "off"...that grounds the coil and kills the spark. To shut off mower. Other things "safety switches" can ground the coil to prevent spark.

Normally the coil grounds through the spark plug as the engine runs...jumping the gap to ground to provide spark.

W

Wegdeone

What do you mean by..."coil grounded, yes.

I was making the point the coil should not be grounded.
When the key is turned to "off"...that grounds the coil and kills the spark. To shut off mower. Other things "safety switches" can ground the coil to prevent spark.

Normally the coil grounds through the spark plug as the engine runs...jumping the gap to ground to provide spark.
Sorry I misunderstood the question. How can I test that the coil is ungrounded? I have pulled both plugs and I have spark on both.

S

shiftsuper175607

Sorry I misunderstood the question. How can I test that the coil is ungrounded? I have pulled both plugs and I have spark on both.

I was understanding you did NOT have spark..

If you have spark now...
If the engine turns over...
The mower should start with a very small shot of starting fluid...with choke open
It may die right a way...but it should start...

Will it?

W

Wegdeone

I was understanding you did NOT have spark..

If you have spark now...
If the engine turns over...
The mower should start with a very small shot of starting fluid...with choke open
It may die right a way...but it should start...

Will it?

No sir even with starter fluid no attempt to fire the only thing that happens is after cranking for quite a bit a small backfire. I am by no means an expert on small engines but I'm a pretty good troubleshooter and I am totally stumped

L

Luffydog

No mention of checking the valves after pulling the heads off

W

Wegdeone

No mention of checking the valves after pulling the heads off
I had only pulled one head. I did go back and check/adjust the rockers on both and rotating the engine the valves seem to be working correctly

Boobala

Boobala

IF .... you have fuel... and spark ...... it has to be timing, that's all an engine requires, it should at least attempt to run.

Oil breather & intake MANIFOLD not blocked, ?? muffler not blocked ?? ...

L

Luffydog

If all your info is correct and the things you did are correct and with all the comments made and you say you already did that and you have this and you have that I would have to say there is one thing compression. If you say you have that my next post will be there no fix other than a new engine

W

Wegdeone

IF .... you have fuel... and spark ...... it has to be timing, that's all an engine requires, it should at least attempt to run.

Oil breather & intake MANIFOLD not blocked, ?? muffler not blocked ?? ...
Oil breather is the only thing uncheck, it's under the flywheel20180728_122645.jpg

W

Wegdeone

If all your info is correct and the things you did are correct and with all the comments made and you say you already did that and you have this and you have that I would have to say there is one thing compression. If you say you have that my next post will be there no fix other than a new engine

I do not have a compression tester to get an accurate reading but loss of compression on both I would think unlikely. The one cylinder and head were not touched during this repair.

S

shiftsuper175607

I had only pulled one head. I did go back and check/adjust the rockers on both and rotating the engine the valves seem to be working correctly

You set the valve clearance correctly at TDC on that cylinder?

W

Wegdeone

You set the valve clearance correctly at TDC on that cylinder?
Yes tdc judged buy valve movements, confirmed with a wooden rod in the plug socket

L

Luffydog

Well I hate to say this but if you took the cam out you had to touch the other head at some time if not your lifters would be still in the block and your rods are too. You had to adjust the valves if you pulled the cam out if not then how did you get the rods back in and if not then how did you adjust the valves. Seems to be going in a circle about your problems your having with the engine. Just trying to clear things up a bit and what you a missing on getting your engine running.how about what you set your valves at? Starter fluid as in lighter fluid for grills or something more????? Try some either and see what happens

W

Wegdeone

Well I hate to say this but if you took the cam out you had to touch the other head at some time if not your lifters would be still in the block and your rods are too. You had to adjust the valves if you pulled the cam out if not then how did you get the rods back in and if not then how did you adjust the valves. Seems to be going in a circle about your problems your having with the engine. Just trying to clear things up a bit and what you a missing on getting your engine running.how about what you set your valves at? Starter fluid as in lighter fluid for grills or something more????? Try some either and see what happens

I didn't remove the cam or adjust valves, I didn't say anything about removing the cam. I have tried starting fluid, no good.

L

Luffydog

Crank/cam timing marks were right when reassembled to me that means they have been removed. Double check your valves and if you did set them what did u set them at?

W

Wegdeone

Crank/cam timing marks were right when reassembled to me that means they have been removed. Double check your valves and if you did set them what did u set them at?

It was a crankcase gasket replacement...I did not move the crank or cam, that line was to point out that i did check to be sure the timing marks were still aligned correctly before I reassembled the crank case with new gasket and PTO seal to save folks time from asking.

L

Luffydog

Set your valves to spec on both cyclinders then give it a try. Tdc on compression stoke

Boobala

Boobala

You've got a group of us scratching our heads, it doesn't make sense, did you also check the ignition sw. feed WIRE.. from the battery side of the start solenoid up to the ignition sw. it should have an "in-line" fuse in it, but the wire could be bad, maybe at the fuse holder, or terminal of ign. sw. .. ?? ( I'm pulling at straws here but it seems that's all that's left to do.)

ALSO... have you checked each safety switch in the system, ..??

T

Tinkerer200

"ALSO... have you checked each safety switch in the system, ..??"

He said he tried it with both kill wires disconnected at the base of the coils which would eliminate all safety switches from the circuit.

"you set the valve clearance correctly at TDC on that cylinder?"
"Yes tdc judged buy valve movements, confirmed with a wooden rod in the plug socket"

NO, this is not correct. Valve clearance is not set at TDC. And the work he did would not affect the valve clearance of the other cylinder and these engines will start quit easily and run on one cylinder.

"fuse checked on a multitester good, I ever cleaned out the fuse holder with contact cleaner. "
"fuse checked on a multitester good,"

I would suspect carb solenoid but I think he said he tried dribbling fuel down carb which should make it fire a few times. Try jumper between battery cable to the starter solenoid and the small wire on the starter solenoid IF it only has one small wire. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, jump to the one which does NOT go to ground. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, one should be connected to ground. This is a check for turning over on tractor battery not for why it is not firing.

I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like which will tell you proper valve adjustment procedure among other things. Address below.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com (put in proper format)

PS: I guess he said he checked the carb solenoid - something is being over looked as there has to be a reason for both not turning over with key then not starting when jumper.

S

shiftsuper175607

"ALSO... have you checked each safety switch in the system, ..??"

He said he tried it with both kill wires disconnected at the base of the coils which would eliminate all safety switches from the circuit.

"you set the valve clearance correctly at TDC on that cylinder?"
"Yes tdc judged buy valve movements, confirmed with a wooden rod in the plug socket"

NO, this is not correct. Valve clearance is not set at TDC. And the work he did would not affect the valve clearance of the other cylinder and these engines will start quit easily and run on one cylinder.

"fuse checked on a multitester good, I ever cleaned out the fuse holder with contact cleaner. "
"fuse checked on a multitester good,"

I would suspect carb solenoid but I think he said he tried dribbling fuel down carb which should make it fire a few times. Try jumper between battery cable to the starter solenoid and the small wire on the starter solenoid IF it only has one small wire. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, jump to the one which does NOT go to ground. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, one should be connected to ground. This is a check for turning over on tractor battery not for why it is not firing.

I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like which will tell you proper valve adjustment procedure among other things. Address below.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com (put in proper format)

PS: I guess he said he checked the carb solenoid - something is being over looked as there has to be a reason for both not turning over with key then not starting when jumper.

Wedgeone,
I have used Walt's procedure for setting valve clearance and I recommend it.
He knows what he is talking about.

Boobala

Boobala

At this point with a lot of input and head scratching, I would ISOLATE the engine from the mower and see if it will run, disconnect the engine wire harness from the mower and "Hot-Wire" the engine, using jumper cables and a jumper from the battery POS. to the carb. solenoid ( also be sure the carb solenoid is grounded to the eng. or frame and make sure it clicks) Neg. jumper cable to eng. block or mower frame, POS jumper cable to just touch the starter lug enough to start it, of course you'll have to "play" with the throttle .. this way if the eng. runs, you know the problem is on the mower side and you'll know the engine is OK,... then you can take half the fight off the table.

T

Terry in Almonte

Following this thread, I certainly appreciate everyone’s tenacity and contributions in trying to resolve it.

It’s interesting and informative.

Boobala

Boobala

NONE of us likes gettin whipped, there is a reason why it won't start with the ign. sw. .. Persistence & Patience .. :thumbsup:

B

bertsmobile1

I have stayed out of this one as every man & his dog seemed to be posting and it just get confusing.

SO you removed the engine, flipped it upside down ripped off the sump, replaced the gasket then flipped it back up and installed it in the mower.
It cranks but does not start, just gives some small backfires .

So
1) did you pull the flywheel or leave it on ?
2) why were you replacing the gaskets ?

now for the diagnosis.
pull the blower housing off & set it aside
Remover both plugs and get some new ones.
remove the kill wires from the magneto coils
put a SHORT shot of starter fluid into each plug hole then replace the plugs ( do one at a time )
crank the engine
If it runs a few revolutions then repeat, with each side by itself and one plug removed.
Again if it runs a few revolutions then you have confirmed the ignition timing is good & the exhaust valves are working

Do the same, both cylinders then one at a time but spraying the SHORT SHOTS of carb cleaner down the throat of the carb
If it runs on the carb cleaner then that shows the inlet valves are working.

If you can keep the engine running with repeated short shots down the carb then the problem is in the mower or the fuel system.
Replace the kill wires & repeat test
Engine does not run then you have a wiring problem in the mower.

If all this fails the whip off the rocker covers.
And check the operation of the valves with respect to the piston position.

Z

Zuke

What happened on this engine? That’s it? He gave up? I am going to see if I can’t track wegdeone Down.

B

bertsmobile1

Zuke,
Often happens
People get fed up & replace he engine or the complete mower or finally work out what was wrong & don't come back to let every body know the final outcome.
Now the next question is why do you want to know ?
Revising the entire thread, if he was doing what he was asked to do and the results are what he typed then the valve timing is off.
While he says he did not take the cam out , it is driven by a gear at the bottom of the engine on the crank and without the sump on the crank can turn without turning the cam .
Had he gotten back, the next thing I would have suggested was running a piece of masking tape around the edge of the flywheel and rotating the engine marking the opening & closing of the valves plus top dead center on the tape.
Also mark when the magnets are opposite each coil
I use the edge of the magneto coil to run a pencil up to make the mark.
Does not matter what you use or where it is just so long as it is the same place every time.
Then you peel it off and check that the inlet has closed before the corresponding coil had the magnet go past.
It is wery easy to get the timing wrong & I have found this is the easiest way to check it.
I do about 1 engine split every 2 months or so and still manage to time twins on the wrong cylinder every now & then