B&S 20hp (331777-2372-G5) runs wide open after you start it?

Bat57

Threads
  • / B&S 20hp (331777-2372-G5) runs wide open after you start it?
Have you been able to figure it out. I hope it is something simply!
Thanks for your help. It turned out to be the linkage and the owner for whatever reason had messed with both adjustment screws on the Nikki carburetor, I didn't find this out until I got aggravated and decided to completely tear the carb apart to recheck everything and found the adjustment screws were out of factory settings.

Bat57

Threads
You basically have done the test if you did the static adjustment correctly. So it does sounds like a bad governor.
Thanks for your help. It turned out to be the linkage and the owner for whatever reason had messed with both adjustment screws on the Nikki carburetor, I didn't find this out until I got aggravated and decided to completely tear the carb apart to recheck everything and found the adjustment screws were out of factory settings

Bat57

Threads
As the others have mentioned.
The Governor GOVERNONS and just like the one in town hall, it SLOWS things down
So a racing engine will always be a governor problem
Do your static adjustment and remember when the throttle butterfly is fully open the governor rod has to move towards the closed position.
If not you have it backwards.
If a couple of static adjustments don't fix things then something is wrong inside the engine .
Most governors have some sort of cap on them and these have a bad habit of vanishing when the engine is apart ( gremlins ) or falling off when you are assembling the engine.
On some you can even install the lever upside down.
We have all done it, just some won't admit it .
Thanks for your help. It turned out to be the linkage and the owner for whatever reason had messed with both adjustment screws on the Nikki carburetor, I didn't find this out until I got aggravated and decided to completely tear the carb apart to recheck everything and found the adjustment screws were out of factory settings

Bat57

Threads
only way to know that is pull the sump off again and check it

but first i would check to see if the carb is flooding and that the main jet inside the plastic tube didnt fall out on you and get lost. if that jet falls out it will be dumping way too much gas in the engine. redoing the carb is a lot easier then pulling the sump