Atco Lightweight (1957?) clutch help

abelw44

Active Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know about how the clutch works on old atco light weight mowers? I recently bought one and the clutch is seized up!! I was thinking maybe knowing how it works would help me to fix it!

thanks in advance
 
Very neat old mower...
here is the instruction manual, in case you did not get one... http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/sites/default/files/opmanual/Atco 172055.pdf
Here is a parts break down... I think yours is a disk type clutch rather than the cone type... http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/sites/default/files/opmanual/Atco Standard Parts.pdf
I think your disk clutch will be like the attached picture...
One of the first members at this site was a big fan of the Suffolk Punch, very much like your lightweight model... I really Like those old reel mowers. :smile:KennyV
 

Attachments

  • ATCO diskClutch.jpg
    ATCO diskClutch.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 13
Hi KennyV

Thanks for the manual although I did already have one. I'm not entirely sure that that is the type of clutch I've got. Mine is red and appears to have two circular sections. If I posted pics would that help you to identify it?
 
Sure pictures are always great... But it will be sometime later today before I get back... it's about 4:30 am... :smile:KennyV
 
Sorry I took so long over getting these pics, too much to do with school and all that but here they are.
Thanks

Also, let me know if you need more or some from a different angle!
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20131010_174314.png
    ForumRunner_20131010_174314.png
    438 KB · Views: 18
  • ForumRunner_20131010_174326.png
    ForumRunner_20131010_174326.png
    457.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ForumRunner_20131010_174339.png
    ForumRunner_20131010_174339.png
    442.7 KB · Views: 12
That is the Cone clutch... The painted piece will separate and will have a friction cone attached to one piece. :smile:KennyV:smile:
 
Hello all,
First of all thanks again to KennyV and to Engineman for their help I have now managed to free the clutch :-). however I have now come across another stuck thing! The coil is broken (As is common on Villiers engines) an I therefore need to replace it but it is firmly stuck in it's cast iron wing like holders. I have undone the grub screws but still nothing! anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
abelw44
 
Use a Lot of penetrating oil, Tap on the magneto, since you are going to replace it no problem if it cracks... don't tap on the cast iron engine parts as they can crack... it should free up if you have all the captive screws removed... :smile:KennyV
 
Ah I see I haven't made it very clear,
the coil and magneto are removed from the engine parts. However the coil has two little cast iron peices which screw it to the engine piece. These are on either side of the coil. They are what are stuck on.

Sorry for being unclear!
Abelw44
 
Back
Top