Export thread

Armadillos

D

deminin

There really isn't a "forum" for my question, but hopefully someone can offer me some clues on how to get rid of Armadillos. We seem to have an infestation of these pests this year, and they are tearing up the yard. I've gone out in the evenings before bedtime with the spotlight and my .22 pistol, and "removed" 4 of them from close to the house. However, the past couple of days, I mowed about 2 acres and everywhere I mowed there were holes and dirt mounds...some of which look like someone dug the hole with a shovel. Short of staying up all night, and wandering all over the property, with the light and pistol, I'm at a loss on how to eradicate these pests. Any Ideas???? All I find on the Internet is suggestions for "trapping" them.

B

bertsmobile1

No native animal is ever a pest.
It should be there you should not.
So the trick is to find why they are invading your yard rather then staying in the wild.
Other than that a couple of hunting dogs will generally keep most unwanted critters out of your yard.
The "trick " to making dogs work overnight ( or cats for that matter ) is only to feed them in the morning so they will be hungry during the night .
Dogs & cats do not care when they eat or sleep but once fed will curl up somewhere to digest the food

D

deminin

No native animal is ever a pest.It should be there you should not.So the trick is to find why they are invading your yard rather then staying in the wild.Other than that a couple of hunting dogs will generally keep most unwanted critters out of your yard.The "trick " to making dogs work overnight ( or cats for that matter ) is only to feed them in the morning so they will be hungry during the night .Dogs & cats do not care when they eat or sleep but once fed will curl up somewhere to digest the food

Armadillos were native to South America. Over the centuries , as the climate has warmed, they have traveled further North. They feed primarily on grubs and earthworms. This is a rural area, and there are lots of people with "hunting" dogs, but dogs are smart enough to stay away from these things. Additionally, armadillos are known to carry leprosy, and other serious illnesses that can transfer to humans if a person tries to handle one of these pests. Until recent years, they only existed in the warmer Gulf coast states...Florida, Louisiana, etc., but as the Winters become less severe, they are rapidly moving North. It's pretty common, anymore, to see them mashed by vehicles all over these rural roads. I'm hoping to find someone familiar with them from some of our Gulf coast states who might have some valid and useful information....doubtful that residents of Australia have ever seen any of these.

B

bertsmobile1

Lots of people here have hunting dogs too
But they feed then in the evening so they fill their bellies then find some where to snooze when there are no people around to play with..
It is a force of habit thing we eat in the evening so we feed out animals in the evening.
The working dogs get fed in the evening so they are "keen" during the daylight hours to work
The guard doges get fed in the morning so they are on the prowl all night.
It makes a massive difference to how the dogs work.
The cats get treated the same, a small bowl of food in the morning & nothing in the night thus they are hunting all night.

An no no Armidillos in Oz yet but I am sure some idiot will bring some in & release them.

and risking being labled all touchy feely.
Wild animals live where they live they do not have artifical things like borders, we invented them.
We the very late starters evolution wise seem to think that everything ( other then us ) is restricted to a particular region and has been in that spot forever and should stay there forever.
I always find this weird being that fossel records show that a large number of animals ranged over massive distances as temperatures &/ or food supply changed.

Training some dogs is the best response I could think of.
Burrowing animals are difficult to control ( ask us about rabbits & foxes ) as you are relying on pure luck to find one where it could be shot.

P

Pumper54

Armadillos eat grubs worms and other bugs so if you are having a 'dillo problem you might be having a grub problem. Figure out a way to rid the yard of grubs and the 'dillos may move on. Our farm got hit by wild hogs and you would think some took a rototiller to the area as the rooting was that bad, hope you never get hogs up that far.

Tom

Boobala

Boobala

Armadillos eat grubs worms and other bugs so if you are having a 'dillo problem you might be having a grub problem. Figure out a way to rid the yard of grubs and the 'dillos may move on. Our farm got hit by wild hogs and you would think some took a rototiller to the area as the rooting was that bad, hope you never get hogs up that far.

Tom

YOU are talkin bout HARLEY Hog's .. Right Tom .. ?? Yeah when ya get a bunch of them in your yard, they party-hardy !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

1111PUMPERS BIKE.jpg

J

jp1961

Can you get close enough to them to dispatch them with a compound bow or crossbow?

Regards

Jeff

D

deminin

Can you get close enough to them to dispatch them with a compound bow or crossbow? Regards Jeff

Oh Yeah! When they are busy digging, you can slowly walk right up to within 15 or 20 feet of them before they begin to move away. Last night, I walked around the yard about 10:30, before I went to bed, and found another doing its thing. This time I had my 9mm Ruger with me, as a .22 is almost to small to pop them with one shot. The 9mm did the trick with one shot. This morning, I walked around the perimeter of the yard, and found their "hotel" right at the edge of the forest. They had a hole dug that was about a foot in diameter, and dirt spread all over the place from creating their Nest. I gathered a bunch of twigs and sticks, filled the hole with dry wood, dumped a pint of diesel fuel on the sticks and lit it. I watched closely for any smoke escaping nearby, in case they had a "back door". I saw nothing, so after letting it burn, I got the tractor and landscape rake, and filled in the "cavern", and mashed the tunnel down...it stretched for about 12 to 15 feet. These pests are rather large...about the size of a small dog, and weigh 10 to 15 pounds. Hopefully, if they were home taking their daytime nap, the smoke, and diesel fuel asphyxiated them, and mashing their tunnel with the tractor should have collapsed their home. I'll find out over the next few nights if this does the trick.

About the only thing I found on the Internet that was of potential value was to spread gobs of mothballs or ammonia all over the area. However, since I keep almost 2 acres mowed, it would probably cost a couple thousand dollars to get enough odor causing chemicals spread to chase them off....and then filling the entire area with toxic fumes. Getting rid of earthworms and grubs would be equally fruitless and costly.

Living in the boondocks has its challenges, but I would rather have to contend with critters invading the garden and yard, than putting up with the Human Scum that fills the daily news reports in most of the cities.

P

Pumper54

YOU are talkin bout HARLEY Hog's .. Right Tom .. ?? Yeah when ya get a bunch of them in your yard, they party-hardy !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

View attachment 40252

Nope, the wild hogs kind. Will try to post pictures later today.
Tom

J

jp1961

Seems to me an arrow would be a steathly way of taking care of these vermin, even if you lived in a subdivision with neighbors close by.

Way back, when I bow hunted for deer, I could fairly consistently hit a plastic 1 gallon water jug at around 30 yards,,,so 15 to 20 feet should be realistically doable.

Of course,,,busting a cap in one is another good way,,,LOL.

Regards

Jeff

D

deminin

Seems to me an arrow would be a steathly way of taking care of these vermin, even if you lived in a subdivision with neighbors close by. Jeff

Yup, an arrow would certainly be the safer way...especially if a person lives in a urban area. However, out here, gunfire is not uncommon...lots of hunters, and everyone knows not to aim the gun where it might cause harm to others or property.

I walked the yard again today, and saw no further evidence of "digging"...hopefully my destruction of the Armadillo "hotel" yesterday will prove to be the answer.

P

Pumper54

View attachment 40252

This is what wild hogs will do to your yard:
Hog damage 3.jpg

Hog damage 1.jpg

Hog damage 5.jpg

B

Boit4852

When I acquired my 26 acres of rural acreage in 2007, I immediately went about ridding my property of those destructive demons. The only method that I have found works is to go out almost every night with a .22 rifle using hollow points. Since I first started, I think I have eliminated about 20-25 of them. Turkey buzzards will make short shrift of the remains but keep in mind that armadillos can carry leprosy and other diseases. Nasty animals.

I

ILENGINE

Armadillos were native to South America. Over the centuries , as the climate has warmed, they have traveled further North. They feed primarily on grubs and earthworms. This is a rural area, and there are lots of people with "hunting" dogs, but dogs are smart enough to stay away from these things. Additionally, armadillos are known to carry leprosy, and other serious illnesses that can transfer to humans if a person tries to handle one of these pests. Until recent years, they only existed in the warmer Gulf coast states...Florida, Louisiana, etc., but as the Winters become less severe, they are rapidly moving North. It's pretty common, anymore, to see them mashed by vehicles all over these rural roads. I'm hoping to find someone familiar with them from some of our Gulf coast states who might have some valid and useful information....doubtful that residents of Australia have ever seen any of these.

And to think that when I was in my twenties stationed at Ft Sill, Twice a year the base had a armadillo hunt where we would chase the things around the base golf course at night and catch them by hand and put them in burlap sacks for check in the next morning. Stinky little things too. I can tell stories about those hunts.

D

deminin

When I acquired my 26 acres of rural acreage in 2007, I immediately went about ridding my property of those destructive demons. The only method that I have found works is to go out almost every night with a .22 rifle using hollow points. Since I first started, I think I have eliminated about 20-25 of them. Turkey buzzards will make short shrift of the remains but keep in mind that armadillos can carry leprosy and other diseases. Nasty animals.

Yup, the Only way to get rid of them is to shoot them. Their shell is so hard that a .22 barely penetrates it. It seems that we get an infestation every 3 or 4 years. This Fall, when I go out into the woods and start cutting down dead trees for my outdoor wood furnace, I will keep an eye out for any more "mounds" where they might be living. Like you, I've probably had to dispatch 20 or more in the past few years. I guess this is just another "side effect" of the warming climate. The next thing will probably be the "feral hogs" moving North from Arkansas....as the people from Texas mentioned. They are already showing up in Southern Missouri, and if I see any of them around here, they will get a welcome from one of my deer rifles.

B

Boit4852

Yup, the Only way to get rid of them is to shoot them. Their shell is so hard that a .22 barely penetrates it. It seems that we get an infestation every 3 or 4 years. This Fall, when I go out into the woods and start cutting down dead trees for my outdoor wood furnace, I will keep an eye out for any more "mounds" where they might be living. Like you, I've probably had to dispatch 20 or more in the past few years. I guess this is just another "side effect" of the warming climate. The next thing will probably be the "feral hogs" moving North from Arkansas....as the people from Texas mentioned. They are already showing up in Southern Missouri, and if I see any of them around here, they will get a welcome from one of my deer rifles.

A rifle with .22 Long Rifle hollow points will pass completely through the dillo's armor. I like CCI's high velocity as these loads not only have the muzzle speed to do the job, but they are very reliable. As time has passed with me living on my very rural property, I have come to notice some these animals habits. They don't like rooting in yards if weed N feed or fire ant killer products are used. These animals have a very sensitive sense of smell and quite poor eye sight. They also seem to be sensitive to ground vibrations even though their hearing is not acute. A few years ago as I was hunting them at night, I came across a mated pair. I shot the huge male and severely wounded it. As it ran thrashed around, it's mate came to investigate. I could tell she was upset and confused as to what was going on with her mate. That cost her her life. She froze just long enough for me to dispose of her with one shot from about 4 meters away. I also had a young male that was damaging my property with regularity. He was the most astute dillo I had ever encountered with what seemed to be an above average eye sight and sense of my presence. It took a few encounters before I was able to dispatch him. Most dillos are simple and if you stay down wind and move gently, you can get right up on them.

D

deminin

A rifle with .22 Long Rifle hollow points will pass completely through the dillo's armor. I like CCI's high velocity as these loads not only have the muzzle speed to do the job, but they are very reliable. As time has passed with me living on my very rural property, I have come to notice some these animals habits. They don't like rooting in yards if weed N feed or fire ant killer products are used. These animals have a very sensitive sense of smell and quite poor eye sight. They also seem to be sensitive to ground vibrations even though their hearing is not acute. A few years ago as I was hunting them at night, I came across a mated pair. I shot the huge male and severely wounded it. As it ran thrashed around, it's mate came to investigate. I could tell she was upset and confused as to what was going on with her mate. That cost her her life. She froze just long enough for me to dispose of her with one shot from about 4 meters away. I also had a young male that was damaging my property with regularity. He was the most astute dillo I had ever encountered with what seemed to be an above average eye sight and sense of my presence. It took a few encounters before I was able to dispatch him. Most dillos are simple and if you stay down wind and move gently, you can get right up on them.

Yup, my "hunt" goes on. So far, I'm up to 6 of them "removed" from the yard, this year. I've just been going out about 10PM with my spotlight, and Ruger .22 MarkII pistol, and scanning the yard....I tried using a rifle, but juggling the rifle and spotlight is almost unwieldy...but one hand on the light, and one on the pistol allows me to make a clean shot. Slowly, but surely, the evidence of holes in the yard is slowing down. I can usually creep up to within about 25ft. of them before they begin to notice my presence. I suppose I could spread some chemicals in the yard that would discourage them, but I have a huge yard, and it would take a lot of smelly stuff just to cover most of it...and then, the next rain would probably wash it all away.