Repairs Ariens YT-12 hydro questions

pennyanguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens YT-12 hydro with Kawasaki engine, had it 3 years now...great machine...much better built then anything I have seen from the same era, but I have a question.

It seems the tractor has slowed down over the past year or so, especially reverse. If I am cruising along in forward, then go straight to reverse, I will get a burst of speed in reverse, then she slows to a crawl. backing up a hill is now impossible, she just stops.

Once in a great while, (10 hours running or so) I will feel like its back up to speed in forward for a few minutes, then I move the shifter and it 's lost. I have also noticed It will no longer hold nuetral on any grade (she used to not creep at all) and if you try to slow down on a hiill with the hydro she will actually seem to speed up untill you transverse into reverse.

I have checked the tranny fluid, its fill and seems clean.

I love this machine because I live on a hill, and comparitivly this is one of the lowest C.O.G riders I have found. Is there an adjustment I am missing, or is the tranny loosing it? if so, is it rebuildable? I would hate to have to put her to pasture for one of the pieces of junk available today.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
pennyanguy,
welcome to a very good Forum ...
You may be right, BUT it has a very small amount of hydraulic fluid, and heat plus heavy use will shear down the oil viscosity ... change the fluid and see if you have better results... :smile:KennyV

pennyanguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip, I figured the oil was good as it wasn't low and didn't smell burnt...never thought beyond that.

Any idea what I should put in there , as opposed to going to the Gravely dealer and getting my arm ripped off?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I recall the older hydraulic systems ran non detergent SAE30 oil...
If you have a Tractor Supply or any farm ranch supply type place around they should carry it...
but even at the dealer, for the small quantity you will need, it should not be much...
My Caterpillar track loader held over 30 gallons of non detergent 30 Wt in its hydraulic system... I always watched for sales at the oil suppliers when it was approaching time to change...

In any case if you don't have internal damage the 30W will have you back running... approx how many hours do you have on this ??
:smile:KennyV