Ariens Razor question? Fixed. Never would of guessed.

Mike0122

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ariens Razor question? Fixed. Never would of guessed.
IMG_20200515_173920_resize_76.jpg

OK I'll admit I don't know to much about mowers but last night I decided to try to sharpen the blade myself. I took that middle bolt out thinking it was holding the blade on. I just snugged it back up when I realized it wasn't. Today my gf was going to mow while I was at work before it rained. She told me it started right up on the 1st pull but then kind of made a jarring sound. Then when she tried to engage the blade it died. Now it's like it's seized up. You can not pull the cord.
Did not setting that bolt to a correct torque ruin the clutch? I did tilt the mower backwards for about 5 or so minutes to get the blade off. I'd always heard it not good for them to be tilted over (I've since learned I should of tilted onto it side) but could that of ruined the engine? I found a few videos about clutches but none of them seem to look the same as this one. I'm not sure if I should try to take it apart more or take it somewhere lol. I do most of the maintenance on my Jeep but I feel clueless.
Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No idea about the clutch & blade.
However as for tipping the mower it is best to always tip them so the spark plug(s) point up.
Thus the oil runs into the back of the sump and not into the carburettor, muffler or on top of the piston.
It is prudent when working on a push mower to always remove the spark plug and if you do then it is just acase of pulling the starer a few times before you replace the plugs.

I use a yard crane when working on ride on mowers and when doing ZTR's always remove the plugs for this reason so I don't forget and end up popping a head gasket that I can not charge the customer for replacing.
Ilove Mo-jacks ( and similar ) for this reason cause Jow Average jacks it up one weekend but does not finish the job for another 3 weeks then blows the head gasket when they try & start it

Mike0122

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I guess with it tipped backwards the spark plug was pointed up. I didn't take it out until today though when I tried to get the motor to turn without it but it didn't help.

Mike0122

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh man nothing I did the other day was the culprit.
At this point the engine still wouldn't freely spin with the blade clutch off. I figured it was shot.
IMG_20200516_112158_resize_66.jpg

I got the fly wheel free and take a look what I found under it.
IMG_20200516_112215_resize_66.jpg
A SOCKET! About a week ago I spilt some loose ones off my tool box and they fell down an hit the mower. What's the chance one got in there? Well in my case a really good one lol. Engine spins freely now just have to put it back together.