Ariens Model 936073 Lawn Tractor 42" 21 HP Rats Chewed Wires

LogHome

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ariens Model 936073 Lawn Tractor 42" 21 HP Rats Chewed Wires
Have an Ariens Model 936073 Lawn Tractor that some rats chewed the wires on and it does nothing when turning the key.

There are 2 black wires and one blue wire that were chewed that lead to a plug that I have no idea where it goes?

I'm guessing these chewed wires are the reason it won't do anything when trying the ignition.

I also see the ground wire down on the frame a little chewed.

Where does this plug go? For the life of me I can't see anywhere it would plug into.

Thank you for the help. wires03.jpg

AVB

Threads
Three versions of this mower but all three uses the same wiring harness.

Appears for one of two optional equipment. either an hour meter or 12v power outlet. Note: black wire ground, blue wire +12 vdc.
diagram.gif

LogHome

Forum Newbie
Threads
Three versions of this mower but all three uses the same wiring harness.

Appears for one of two optional equipment. either an hour meter or 12v power outlet. Note: black wire ground, blue wire +12 vdc.
diagram.gif

Thanks for the reply. Would these wires being chewed through have anything to do with nothing happening at all when hitting the ignition?
Maybe it's the ground to the frame that's a little chewed causing the problem?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Would these wires being chewed through have anything to do with nothing happening at all when hitting the ignition?
Maybe it's the ground to the frame that's a little chewed causing the problem?

They have everything to do with nothing happening. 1st off, the system has to be grounded. You have to have 12v to from battery to the key, to the solenoid then to the starter. That circuit has to go through safety switches also.

One good thing about mice eating wires, they don't normally move the wires around too far. So if you don't have any good wire pliers, now would be a good time to get ya some. Along with some wire connectors and heat shrink. The wires should still be very close to each other. so you can connect those back together and heat shrink then. When you're all finished,and still nothing happens, then it's time to check the grounds to see if they're clean & tight.

AVB

Threads
Using either a volt meter or light probe see if there voltage on the blue wire with ignition in run position. If no voltage then it is a good possibility that the main fuse is blown. If present test the white wire coming off the ignition first while the switch is held in start position. From there work your to the starter solenoid tracing the white wire thru the brake and PTO switches. If the voltage is present at the starter solenoid. then check its ground wire.

Another indication that the blue wire has 12v is the clicking of the fuel solenoid on the carburetor.

LogHome

Forum Newbie
Threads
After repairing these wires I'm happy to report that the mower starts right up again. Thanks everyone for the help.