Ariens EZR 1742 Wiring Problem

trukman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased athis mower from neighbor who bought it from a friend that has history of screwing things up. He cut the PTO switch and installed a toggle switch. Problem is, I purchased new PTO switch and when I opened it up he'd cut all the connectors and wiring. There two purple wires and two black wires going to a plug that he jumpered to the toggle switch (Just off the purple wires.). I also can't figure out which side of the new switch the wires go to. One side has three COM markings and the other A B C. If I could find where the brown and yellow wire goes I'd know which side gets wired accordingly but am at a loss as to the purple and blacks that he put to the toggle switch. I hope this makes sense. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

BTW: I'm a paraplegic and just bought this cause his wife was on her last nerve. I can't get on it but my other neighbor cuts my grass for me and was excited about getting it thinking it would be more fun to mow with. I don't want to let him down. Ole' softy I guess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly lets check you got the correct switch
According to the parts book your should have Ariens part # 01545600
This is a Delta switch with 5 terminals
The terminals may have tiny numbers cast into the back of the switch
Below is the connections
and under that the wiring diagram
Both of which are a free download from the Ariens web page   Pinout.jpg

wiring.jpg
Just beware that people rarely chop off plugs & insert a toggle switch because the switch itself is bad
Usually it is because other switches ( or relays ) are bad and they are too bone lazy to work through the problem .
I would suggest pitting female terminals on the PTO wires then making some short jumpers with 2 male terminals
Then you can use these to bypass the lap bar switches, relays seat switch etc
As you can see , all switches are power switches unlike normal practice to make them ground switching which reduces the number of places where you can get a short circuit to the frame blowing fuses
If you have trouble with the wiring diagram ( which would get a B- in one of my classes ) then get back & we can work through it with you

trukman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bertsmobile1, Thanks for the schematics and switch details. Been raining and I have to work on it outside laying on the ground so when it dries up I'll get on it. Thanks again!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When ever you have time, noting is compulsory
While it is raining work through the wiring diagram
There is a mistake on the key switch as the red (Battery ) wire has to be connected to A in both the on & start positions so the ibottom 2 o"s should be shown as tied or there would be no power to the motor the G (Ground ) and M (Magneto ) connections are depicted correctly as the various safety switches as supposed to work in parallel with the key sot they can over ride the key to shut the engine off .
I might suggest removing the blower housing and disconnecting the kill wire from the magneto lest you accidentally send power to the magneto which will kill it stone dead .

trukman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I spent time going over the info you sent me. I used to do wiring for control panels in the shop (30 years ago) and it all made sense to me when I got to see it. Double thanks for the caution about the magneto!! Gary

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Excellent
You need to appreciate we have to assume you know nothing until otherwise informed.
Should be a doddle for you then.
You would not believe how many people "test" their coils by flashing the battery + wire across the kill terminal.
I have seem at least a dozen You Tube videos advising people to do just that
Normally it is not a problem because most safetys are ground circuits, however some relay heavy circuits switch on the + side instead and the hall effect chip responds to negative voltages in the micro volt range