ariens 7/24

tweedlecat

Threads
my starter cord will not recoil all the way, is there any secret to fixing this? thanks in advance!

Flintmotorsports

Threads
you will have to rewind the spring inside the blower housing or if your cord is long enough cut off the amount that will not rewind

Elias40

Threads
my starter cord will not recoil all the way, is there any secret to fixing this? thanks in advance!

The rope is probably getting ready to give up the ghost, the spring is fatigued, or both.

You could pull the rope out a couple of feet, tie a half hitch knot part way, cut the handle off, then tie the handle back on. then remove the knot.

If not, if it is a Tecumseh, remove the four nuts securing the recoil housing to the shroud, get a new rope and rewind. These are fairly easy.

B&S is a bit more difficult as the recoil is usually incorporated into the shroud, or vertical pull type bolted to the side of the engine, and of those types, I wouldn't know.

In either case, you have to worry about the clock spring spiraling out and you getting cuts. Be careful.

tweedlecat

Threads
i think the spring is whooped. i sprayed it with penetrating oil, helped a little. think i should i just get a new one? starter coil spring that is...