Export thread

almost new troy built 2 cycle trimmer and a 2 cycle blower

M

moose02

was given and almost new 2 cycle trimmer, edger and a 2 cycle blower. Can not get them to run using 40-1 mix. old owner not sure but says he may have used plain gas. what do I look for

BlazNT

BlazNT

Remove the muffler and look in the hole for scoring of the cylinder walls.

M

moose02

If so hone and rings or just toss them

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

If so hone and rings or just toss them

If they were straight gassed, you can get a top end kit for them............ I do that often on Husqvarna saws and weedeaters......

Anything of good quality is worth a top end kit.......

In your case they were free, so it's worth it to you........ Did you check the pistons yet ??

Jake8131

Jake8131

How much oil into how much gas?

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

.08 ounce for a quart of gas = 40 to 1.........I use non etho gas it lasts longer.........

I use one of those liquid measuring tiny cups at wally world for a buck.....

Russ2251

Russ2251

.08 ounce for a quart of gas = 40 to 1.........
You meant .8 or 3.2oz./gal.
.08/quart (32oz.) would be 400-1.:smile:

Jake8131

Jake8131

.08 ounce for a quart of gas = 40 to 1.........I use non etho gas it lasts longer.........

I use one of those liquid measuring tiny cups at wally world for a buck.....

You can buy the right oil at Wally World in a 3.2oz bottle and add it to 1 gallon of premium gas. Never use gas with ethanol in it. Screws the carb really bad after a while.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

You meant .8 or 3.2oz./gal.
.08/quart (32oz.) would be 400-1.:smile:

Yes .8 of an oz. Thanks for the correction......... dang auto correct on my computer LOL...........

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

You can buy the right oil at Wally World in a 3.2oz bottle and add it to 1 gallon of premium gas. Never use gas with ethanol in it. Screws the carb really bad after a while.

Yes you can buy it in the 1 can per gallon of gas at wally world when it's in season... I looked for some 2 weeks ago and it's not there..... I buy premix by the quart when they have it on sale for 3 bux....... I save that for my use though.....

I recommend the Poulan synthetic oil 40 to 1, I did some checking and it's the same as the stihl and top brand oils.......also cheaper .97 cents for a 1 gallon mix can.........

tom3

tom3

Might be something else? Take out the sparkplug, put it on a metal piece on the motor with the wire plugged in, pull the rope and look for a blue spark at the tip. Not all that unusual these days for the ignition to take a dump. And check for a wet looking sparkplug first off, could be flooded with too much gas. If it all looks good I usually give it a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole, replace plug, try to start.

Jake8131

Jake8131

I like TRUFUEL.

A

(Account Closed)

A compression test should give a good idea the health of the engine.

If it's low, probably not worth fixing.

If low, you can tear it down, check cylinder for wear/damage, piston ring end gap, carbon build up, etc.
If not damaged, just worn, a piston ring may fix it for you...