Export thread

All American blade sharpener

B

beddy85

Does anyone here use an all American blade sharpener?? Looking at buying one. Was looking for some opinions good or bad. Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have the top of the line one in my shop for about a year now. I really like it. A little technique sensitive but once you get the hang of it easy and FAST to sharpen blades. Does a good job and good looking results. I have an angle grinder dedicated to it.

B

beddy85

I have the top of the line one in my shop for about a year now. I really like it. A little technique sensitive but once you get the hang of it easy and FAST to sharpen blades. Does a good job and good looking results. I have an angle grinder dedicated to it.
Do you use a regular wheel on your angle grinder or a flap wheel? I am looking at the newest model, I think it's the 5005 with the adjustable angle

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I use 36 grit angled flap discs from Supergrit.

S

SeniorCitizen

With a little practice you can sharpen a blade free hand with a angle grinder equipped with a thin Makita disc while setting in a chair with the blade extended across your leg.

Attachments

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My only issue is that it throws a lot of grit.

StarTech

StarTech

Hoping you guys do check that the blades are in balance afterwards. As me I am still a regular bench grinder with vitrified stones. But most blades are usually beyond sharpening here plus may costs for new blades isn't that much above my sharpening fees even those .250" blades are reasonable compared to the time it takes to get one of them sharpen correctly.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have a real nice magnetic balancer. I can lift a mower, take blades off, sharpen, put blades on and drop mower unusually about ten minutes. For a 3 blade mower $21 for 10 mins work. And yes, i do a good job of sharpening blades.

B

beddy85

I am just a homeowner but also have a farm with another ztr. Around here we pay $5-6/blade and they dont balance them. After I have seen the laay sharpening job I paid for I have decided to buy something that helps me hold the correct angle. I will also be purchasing a magnetic balancer. Once I get good I might even take it up as a side gig.

StarTech

StarTech

I have a real nice magnetic balancer. I can lift a mower, take blades off, sharpen, put blades on and drop mower unusually about ten minutes. For a 3 blade mower $21 for 10 mins work. And yes, i do a good job of sharpening blades.
Question here. How well does it handle the double diamond, Y hole, 5, 6, & 7 point stars. I have been thinking buying one but just another type balancer.

B

bertsmobile1

I started with the plastic pyramid job then went to a magnetic
Magnetic works a lot better
Both handle any hole size or shape.
I rarely sharpen any blades anymore , by the time I get to service most are well beyond sharpening.
However I do check the balance of every new blade I fit.
About once a month or so oe is out of balance new off the shelf.