Aftermarket spindle kit

TobyU

Threads
I've got an old Snapper LT125 ( 2690808 - 42" deck) - and am looking for a spindle kit (housing with the shaft & bearings all assembled already - as a drop-in replacement)

I have the.pdf manual/parts list for my mower - and found the individual part numbers - but most other brands I'm finding aftermarket drop-in kits as an assembly. Any ideas on a spindle kit / assembly for this Snapper?

I suppose I can simply disassemble and replace the bearings themselves if a full drop-in replacement isn't available or made as an aftermarket item.
On most of these, if you just take the individual part number for the outer spindle housing itself and type that into a Google or eBay or Amazon search box you will find the complete assemblies that replace it.
This isn't always the case as I've seen some gravelies that nobody has made these for this way but for many of the mowers that are around 20 to slightly over 20 years old like the basic Craftsman 42 in that were made by ayp, Craftsman sells all the parts individually on there illustrated parts list but if you use this method you will find the complete assemblies all over eBay and Amazon very cheap.

BohoRex

Threads
On most of these, if you just take the individual part number for the outer spindle housing itself and type that into a Google or eBay or Amazon search box you will find the complete assemblies that replace it.
This isn't always the case as I've seen some gravelies that nobody has made these for this way but for many of the mowers that are around 20 to slightly over 20 years old like the basic Craftsman 42 in that were made by ayp, Craftsman sells all the parts individually on there illustrated parts list but if you use this method you will find the complete assemblies all over eBay and Amazon very cheap.
Yep.... Most.... Mine seems to be the exception. I *so * wish that there were a good cross reference chart that would say that xx parts will fit your yy riding mower - or would at least be a compatible upgrade to the 15-20 year old stuff that's costing as much for a single spindle shaft - as the aftermarket products charge for a whole spindle/bearing/shaft (and sometimes pulley) assembly for a set of 2 - for other brands/models.

I looked. Hard. And maybe I missed a kit - but I don't think I did. Would have been nice to just unbolt the spindle and put a fresh assembly in.

Maybe I'll get some decent use out of this once it's done - before I need to upgrade for real.

BohoRex

Threads
Donor parts from an old dead Murray mower....

While waiting on OE parts from the Snapper to show up - On a whim - I wanted to see if one of my other mower's parts might fit. I've got 2 Green ones (Craftsman) and an old red Murray mower - all sitting in a field. I'd replaced the spindle assemblies on the Murray about 3-4 years ago - then had problems with the engine - so it became a field-ornament.

The new (never used) spindles on the old Murray bolt right up to my Snapper deck. Height of pulley is the same, Pulley diameter is the same, and blade distance from bottom of deck is the same. This makeshift setup will do the trick for a bit til my real parts show up. Only difference I can see - that I need to account for - is that the Murray blade is 20", and my Snapper is 21". They have different blade mount hole sizes - so I'll stick with the smaller Murray blades unless I can find a 21" version.

Last edited: