After having kept the machine in storage for a few months, it won't start

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / After having kept the machine in storage for a few months, it won't start
Thank you Jones136, I haven't ordered the kit yet, but I'm getting desperate though, the grass is growing to an alarming rate; it has advanced and swallowing my house like a "Blob"! (I live in the middle of nowhere, but there's lot's of grass around me), have to make a decision before the week is over and decide whether to order a carburator or the kit. I got it to run, but it's still hard to start and it shuts off often, I ran out of ideas.
But you mentioned the muffler and gave me an idea; I'll remove the muffler and see what happens. if it doesn't work after that, I'll go ahead and get a new carburator, I'm tired messing with it!
Did you check and confirm fuel going thru the tiny screen when carburetor is in your hands? If the screen is partially blocked or blocked, fuel delivery will be the issue. I see lots of handheld equipment with fuel delivery issues that are a result of this blocked screen.

abarone300

Threads
You are the MAN Jones136! You hit the proverbial nail right on the head! You nailed it, the Muffler WAS clogged!!!
Problem solved, I just have to buy a new muffler, I wanted to use the old one in the meantime so I could use the cutter until I got the new muffler in, but it's clogged so bad it reverts to stalling again and I can't leave the cutter without a muffler not only because it's loud (no one around) but for some reason it over revs when I give it gas ( I didn't mess with the carb's adjustments and the gas cable is not getting stuck!) It might have been adjusted from factory with the muffler in place, what do you think? Will see how it acts when I get and install the muffler.
In all the years I've worked with motors (as an amature of course) I have never actually seen an engine failing to start because of a clogged muffler, it never crossed my mind to do it, also because the cutter is less than two years old! But I have a pretty good idea what could have caused the clogging:
As I mentioned earlier I live in the middle of nowhere, but there's not only lots of grass, there is also lots of insects including BEES, lots mice, lots o snakes, you name them, I have them! And where I stored the "grass cutter" it's not exactly a clean enviroment and free of little spyders and "things", and I think the "culprit" the BEES! Anyhow, thanks again Jones136 and to all you guys, you where a great help indeed!

Aldo
PA Italy

Last edited:

abarone300

Threads
Did you check and confirm fuel going thru the tiny screen when carburetor is in your hands? If the screen is partially blocked or blocked, fuel delivery will be the issue. I see lots of handheld equipment with fuel delivery issues that are a result of this blocked screen.
Thank you Tiger Small Engines!

abarone300

Threads
Hello guys, wanted to update you on the muffler. I was able to unclog it with compressed air and some heavy banging to the ground (those pesty BEES...) enough to start and run the motor on idle, but not enough to run smoothly (on accelleration) and at times it WILL cause the motor to stall, so I decided to go ahead and order a new muffler although not inexpensive, an original it's 35 euro (better than 80 to 100 euro for new carburator, I guess...) I have to order a new spring for the clutch anyway, a word of advise: don't run your engine without the cutting/stalk assembly on; it will elongate the spring that's supposed to close the centrifugal arms and leave the clutch in a position to pick up and spin the cord even on idle, I've done that twice already, never learn! Am I the only person who does that?
Do you guys know if the spring is available without having to buy a whole new clutch assembly? Thanks

Boomer49

Threads
Look at your carburetor, if it has a tiny metal cup on the bottom with a wire attached, take the plastic handle of a screwdriver and lightly tap the cup while turning the key. There's a small pin inside the cup that blocks gas to the carburetor. Turning the key magnetically opens that pin and lets gas into the carburetor. You could simply turn off your gas, remove the wire a take the cup off and clean it. If you go that route, do it over a small ceramic dish, there are some small parts. The pin and the spring are small, watch the order they come out. There is probably gunk inside the cup that won't let the pin move. I just fixed the same problem n mine. If your carburetor is original put it aside and save it if you do replace it. There may be a kit to repair it, any replacement will most likely be a cheaper knock-off. The OEM part from the manufacturer is usually several hundred dollars vs something from Amazon that costs $30 to $60 bucks.

abarone300

Threads
Thanks Boomer49, that was the very first thing I checked back when I discovered I had a starting problem:
Tested the fuel lines, and all checked fine. Like I said in the earlier post, the problem has been resolved; in fact I used the cutter for about a half hour, wearing ear muffs of course, didn't have to worry about neighbors; I don't have any! (you guys must be envious of that...)
It turns out though, that after a while, it must have overheated, because the motor woud shut off, don't know if running it without a muffler had anything to do with it ; but I'm going to play it safe and wait for the new muffler and investigate after the muffler installation, if the problem if it still exists.

PS
I'd be curious to know if any of you guys have ever used the mower without a muffler installed; are there after effects other than being very loud and bothering the hell out of the neighbors? Did anybody experience any overheatng or shut off problems and most important can it damage the engine running it without a muffler?
I have the suspicion also; that the carburator's final adjustments are made with the muffler installed at the factory and somehow if the the mower is ran without it, something is bound to happen

Last edited:

Boomer49

Threads
I sort of cheated and got this online, it's stuff I know but it explains it with at least a thousand fewer words. It's from HouseToolkit.com , "
Engine Performance and Damage:

closecut

Threads
Thank you Jones136, I haven't ordered the kit yet, but I'm getting desperate though, the grass is growing to an alarming rate; it has advanced and swallowing my house like a "Blob"! (I live in the middle of nowhere, but there's lot's of grass around me), have to make a decision before the week is over and decide whether to order a carburator or the kit. I got it to run, but it's still hard to start and it shuts off often, I ran out of ideas.
But you mentioned the muffler and gave me an idea; I'll remove the muffler and see what happens. if it doesn't work after that, I'll go ahead and get a new carburetor, I'm tired messing with it!
There is an impulse tube from the crankcase to the carb that uses pulses from the crankcase to pump fuel to the carb.These impulses operate the diaphragm in the carb,so make sure the impulse tube is not cracked,clean, and not leaking air.This can cause the exact problem you describe.

abarone300

Threads
Thanks Boomer. Hope there was no harm done, I will not use it untill I get the muffler in (should be here by the middle of nextweek), the one I order previous to this one (from Amazon) it turn out it's coming from China , at the end the month (May!) Amazon forgot to mention that bit of information, so I had to reorder it from a store locally, (for an addition al 11 extra euro for an original) I ordered the first one to save time, instead I ended up getting screwed! Usually Amazon gets you the part pretty quick and get's it delivered in 1 to 3 days, go figure...

abarone300

Threads
There is an impulse tube from the crankcase to the carb that uses pulses from the crankcase to pump fuel to the carb.These impulses operate the diaphragm in the carb,so make sure the impulse tube is not cracked,clean, and not leaking air.This can cause the exact problem you describe.
Well, in my case I'm pretty sure the bees caused my problem, I will know for sure once I install the new muffler...

Last edited: