advice on new tractor

velozp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all new to this site. I am looking for a used tractor either 38 or 42 inch cut with a bagger. I also want to spend up to $1000.00 for a used one. Also not sure if I need some of the extras like hydro and electic pto. The less options to break, the better. I have about 12,000 sf to mow and do not need accessories. I am a maitance freak so whatever I get should last. So I know this will get many responses. I did look at new and do not like what I see and do not want to spend over 1000.00. I know that the top dogs are JD, ariens, and Husky. But parts sometimes are a premium for these machines. My buddy bought a new deere d100 and its very loud. Was not impressed with this $1500.00 mower. So what brands are good? Also what engines to stay away from. I did see a couple of deeres LTX models used. Than you for any helpful advice.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Finding used lawn mowing equipment is not very hard.
Finding Good Used mowers is going to be a bit tougher. The low end riders that were bought and then returned or replaced because they were very disappointing, are going to be around... But you are apt to be disappointed also..

If I were you I would look for the Older well maintained Lawn or Garden Tractors... good solid machines that will have plenty of hours left in them... I have a Cub Cadet that is over 30 years old, It likely will be working 30 years from now...
:smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
If your looking for used I would stick with garden tractors. They are designed for heavy work and for the most part have stronger parts. As Kenny indicated they can last indefinitly. How any equipment holds up is directly related on how they are cared for. If your handy and capable of doing most of the work and sevice is extremly helpful and satifying. The money you are talking about can get you a decent used tractor. I would also stick with a standard trans on a used machine they hold up a little better. I am sure others will have some input on this.

Regards,
Paul

jenkinsph

Threads
The suggestion to buy an older garden tractor is sound, usually they have more life left in them. For 12,000 sf thats a fairly small area so I don't think you will need much to mow that. It really depends on what you can find imo, I would look for the best deal and not limit myself too much.

About the Deere D100, yeah it is louder than I would like but in a low end riding mower the manual transmission is a better choice than the entry level hydrostatics.

While I like Deere products in general the low end riding mowers aren't any better than anyone elses imo. I would look around to see what I could buy for about $800 and reserve $200 for fixups, new blades, belts, tires, spindles depending on the needs.

You might want to post what you find before you buy it to get opinions.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like you will have to go into your own learning curve. Buy cheap and fix all the time till you get sick of all the repairs. Then go out and buy a quality mower with all the accessories you want and then asks your self after using it why you didn't do this in the first place. A good way to learn. There is a lot to choose from out there from the 800 dollar cheapy on to what ever you can spend. Myself would say spend a little more money and get a good used top name mower and get away from this learning curve. No the Hydro transmission and power lift wouldn't give you any more problems then the manual type and make for a lot nicer tractor.