Advice on LT's

otago79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the market for a lawn tractor for my new home, and after a lot of looking, research, and consideration, I've chosen to go with a Husqvarna. From what I've read and tried out(briefly) they seem to be among the more reliable entry level tractors and give you the most bang for your buck. That being said, I'm wavering on which model to go with. Here is what I'm thinking currently:

1. YTH18k46
I originally thought about the 42 since my yard is only about 3/4 acre of grass and I"ve got a few tight spots to get in to, but the guy at the local dealer was telling me about problems with the 42 inch decks delivering a good cut. ANyone comment on this? I have literally not read that anywhere. I like the Kawasaki engine, from what I've read, but this is also the most expensive mower I've looked at, and really stretches my budget at about $1750

2. YTH22V46
Roughly the same mower, just with a Briggs. It has more horsepower, but everyone seems to say go with the Kawasaki. I have had horrible luck with Briggs engines on our sickle bar mowers for our tree farm, but my snow blower engine seems to work fine(although only after one year). This would be the more affordable tractor at $1550.

3. YTH23V42
This one is a 42, what I was originally looking at (for size at least). Again, a Briggs engine, but a nicer reinforced deck with 4 anti scalp wheels, etc. Also not as cheap at $1650.

So what do people think? Is the extra 4 inches of deck worth it, or is a nicer deck more important? And perhaps more importantly, which is a bigger deal, engine or deck? I would have said engine without thinking twice, unless of course there is not a big difference between the Briggs and Kawa. Is the Kawa worth the extra $200? Keeping in mind that I originally was looking to spend no more than $13-1400.(never should have test ridden the hydros!) I would greatly appreciate any advice you have!

Oh, one last thing: does any AYP/craftsman/Husq bagger work with these?

Ifixdit

Threads
I'm in the market for a lawn tractor for my new home, and after a lot of looking, research, and consideration, I've chosen to go with a Husqvarna. From what I've read and tried out(briefly) they seem to be among the more reliable entry level tractors and give you the most bang for your buck. That being said, I'm wavering on which model to go with. Here is what I'm thinking currently:

1. YTH18k46
I originally thought about the 42 since my yard is only about 3/4 acre of grass and I"ve got a few tight spots to get in to, but the guy at the local dealer was telling me about problems with the 42 inch decks delivering a good cut. ANyone comment on this? I have literally not read that anywhere. I like the Kawasaki engine, from what I've read, but this is also the most expensive mower I've looked at, and really stretches my budget at about $1750

2. YTH22V46
Roughly the same mower, just with a Briggs. It has more horsepower, but everyone seems to say go with the Kawasaki. I have had horrible luck with Briggs engines on our sickle bar mowers for our tree farm, but my snow blower engine seems to work fine(although only after one year). This would be the more affordable tractor at $1550.

3. YTH23V42
This one is a 42, what I was originally looking at (for size at least). Again, a Briggs engine, but a nicer reinforced deck with 4 anti scalp wheels, etc. Also not as cheap at $1650.

So what do people think? Is the extra 4 inches of deck worth it, or is a nicer deck more important? And perhaps more importantly, which is a bigger deal, engine or deck? I would have said engine without thinking twice, unless of course there is not a big difference between the Briggs and Kawa. Is the Kawa worth the extra $200? Keeping in mind that I originally was looking to spend no more than $13-1400.(never should have test ridden the hydros!) I would greatly appreciate any advice you have!

Oh, one last thing: does any AYP/craftsman/Husq bagger work with these?

Any model with a Kohler engine won't disappoint IMHO. The Kohler Command engines run like sewing machines and I rarely ever get to see one come through the shop. When I do get lucky enough to work on one the fixes are usually quicker and easier than most Briggs jobs.

In regards to the baggers, NO. Any bag will not automatically fit another. There are multiple styles and mounting hardware involved.

otago79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was looking for one with a Kohler, but the local dealers dont carry a 42 or 46 with one, and the 2013 literature from Husq doesn't have one listed. I thought that would be a less expensive(than Kawa), more reliable alternative to the briggs. No dice apparently.
Thanks for the heads up on the baggers! So that is a cost consideration as well....

TnHusky

Threads
I was looking for one with a Kohler, but the local dealers dont carry a 42 or 46 with one, and the 2013 literature from Husq doesn't have one listed. I thought that would be a less expensive(than Kawa), more reliable alternative to the briggs. No dice apparently.
Thanks for the heads up on the baggers! So that is a cost consideration as well....

For $1799 using the Lowes Discount card you can get the YTH24K48 Fast Tractor, look this one up and read reveiws on this one. I have it and would reccomend it to anyone. This is a awesome mower and has the Kohler 24hp engine that has loads of power.

dupedog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kawasaki Engine vs Briggs

I purchased a YTH1542 tractor in 2002. It currently has 500 hours on it. It has a Kawasaki engine. I have had no trouble with the engine, and it is very miserly with fuel. I had a Snapper with a Briggs engine ( same hp) that consumed much more fuel. I estimate the difference is close to half the fuel consumption with the Kawasaki. Both engines are twin cylinder. I mow approximately 1 acre and would not want a deck wider than the 42 inches mine is.