About to buy a Dixie Chopper, need help pickin a model

Bigrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / About to buy a Dixie Chopper, need help pickin a model
Im new to the forum and to dixie chopper. I have 6 acres here in texas and its a lil rough terrain. Ive been shopping exmark, deere, bush hog, bad boy and DC. I had a 54 in cub but that took me 6 hrs to mow. I want something with power, precision, and built to last. I am looking to get the silver egale 2760HP with the generac motor for 8,200. Is this a good mower and a good price? Is there a higher model that i should get if im willing to spend this much money? Im 30 yrs old and a disabaled vet from the iraq war and im just looking to get a great mower at a fair price. Im paying cash and dont want to regret not getting something more powerful and reliable.

Please help with input and thank you in advance.

The dealer is 50 miles from me, but seems like a great guy. The other mowers i talked about before were 5 mins from me. Im takin a lil risk i feel. How are the new generac engines?

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Hi there and welcome to LMF! I've moved your thread to the Dixie Chopper forum so it will get more attention specifically from Dixie Chopper buyers/owners. Best of luck with your purchase. :thumbsup:

Bigrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, still lookin for input. Lookin to buy something on friday.

68rs327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, still lookin for input. Lookin to buy something on friday.

I had the same problem you had a couple of years ago. I have a 4 acre yard and wanted to buy a zero turn mower. After reading all about zero turns and all the different brands, I decided on the Dixie Chopper.
I bought the 60" Dixie Chopper 2760 Classic and have been VERY happy ever since.
The classic I have has the Generac engine. I love the engine and it has LOTS of power.
No complaints, not one!
I decided on the Classic because the design has not changed for YEARS and has proven itself to be the best. The Classic is built like a tank, has lots of power, best hydraulics, best deck design and rides smooth. I have a friend who has owned a Classic for over 20 years and has done very little maintenance on it since new. He said he has only changed the belts and one deck bearing in 20 years.
I also looked at the Silver Eagle and it looks good, but the Classic has been around for Years...
Read a lot of bad about the Iron Eagle, so stay clear of it.
But the Classic seems to be a solid built mower.
I think Dixie Chopper has Zero % interest going on now? I saw a sign at my dealer last week that said 0% while I was picking up oil and filters.
Good luck, I think you will like your Dixie Chopper.

WISCOPROUD

Threads
the silver eagle is one level below the Classic. Iron eagle is a POS. Excalibur is their top level. it goes like this:

excalibur=high end commercial w/unconventional deck sizes
classic=commercial
SE=affordable commercial
magnum=residential
IE=residential

crawdad62

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I moved into the house I'm presently at I had a 42" Cub Cadet. First time I mowed it took me over 4 hours to mow my grass. I have 4 acres which is a bit smaller than you've got but in the ballpark. I decided I didn't want to spend that much time mowing and figured I'd get a Dixie. I really didn't look at any other mowers. I live about 4 miles from the Dixie Chopper factory and just about every commercial mower uses one. I watched them flying around mowing. When it's wet. When it was dry. Didn't matter, those thing were moving. Anyway I purchased a LT2000 which is a Silver Eagle that had a Kohler 20 and a 50" deck (I have lots of trees and need the smaller deck). It was awesome! What took me 4 hrs. to mow now takes me about an hour.

I've used it to plow snow (without chains!) and vacuum leaves in the fall, haul firewood, gravel and riprap. Pretty much a work horse. This spring I ended up getting a new Silver Eagle 2750 that has the Generac 27 horse motor. Man! That thing is a beast. Can't see that there's anything I'm lacking. Obviously I wouldn't have bought another one if I hadn't like the first one even with loyalty to the home made Dixie.

Threads
Hello Wiscoproud, do you have any reccomendations you would share on breaking in the generac motor? I just ordered a dixie chopper 3360hp yesterday and am wanting to break it in the BEST way. Obviously i will have a Amsoil 1 micron filter on it. My motor oil of choice is normally Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-50. And i was planning to run the recommended weight oil non synthetic (dont even know what that is at this point:confused2:) so if i can, i will use regular Rotella, but do i run the regular oil till the motor STOPS burning oil, then swap to synthetic or what? Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Also Bigrick, we appreciate your service to this great country. P.S. which model did you settle on and how are you liking it?

The Don'z

Threads
Im new to the forum and to dixie chopper. I have 6 acres here in texas and its a lil rough terrain. Ive been shopping exmark, deere, bush hog, bad boy and DC. I had a 54 in cub but that took me 6 hrs to mow. I want something with power, precision, and built to last. I am looking to get the silver egale 2760HP with the generac motor for 8,200. Is this a good mower and a good price? Is there a higher model that i should get if im willing to spend this much money? Im 30 yrs old and a disabaled vet from the iraq war and im just looking to get a great mower at a fair price. Im paying cash and dont want to regret not getting something more powerful and reliable.

Please help with input and thank you in advance.

The dealer is 50 miles from me, but seems like a great guy. The other mowers i talked about before were 5 mins from me. Im takin a lil risk i feel. How are the new generac engines?

First off,, Welcome home, and Thank you for your service to our country,
The silver eagle is a great machine, but I opted for a 2010 classic 2760, (Industrial line) but the silver eagle @ 8200.00 is a good price, I'm also in Texas and owner/operator of a lawn service, so my DC is going 5-7 days a week, and I couldn't be happier. (except it don't fit through a lot of backyard gates). Like any other piece of equipment, just keep regular maintenance going on it, and you will do fine, DC also has several 72" models along with a 4WD model, I think any DC will be a good choice.