__HONDA 6.5___trouble shoot for a master mechanic___

Bandito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda 6.5 hp on a pressure washing machine. Runs on only pure gas - no ethanol - starts and after long warm up will accelerate to normal operating rpm's. After 3 - 5 minutes for no apparent reason, the engine will die. This is under full operating rpm's and with the pump at max volume. Sometimes I can release the handle to disengage the pump and the engine may recover. If not it will start on the first pull, don't even need to choke. Have run several tanks of fuel with Seafoam just in case there was any residue in the carb. Hasn't helped. any and all advice from your experience is much appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check if the engine is over heating....and shutting down. When the pump is spraying it is working as hard as it can... when you stop spraying the unloader cuts the back pressure on the pump and it will not be working as hard...
There are several things that can cause over heating aside from poor air flow, a few are:
low octane fuel... (try some Premium OR some With ethanol)...
Running too lean under load will get Hot...
Timing off just a bit..
Wrong spark plug or Gap...
I'd start with the fuel swap... it is the easiest.... :smile:KennyV

Bandito

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny for the input. We have installed a new plug and the pure gas we are using is 93 octane. NON ETHANOL fuel is so much better for any engine especially small 4 and 2 cycle. We even use pure gas in our vehicles as much as possible. Have also checked block running temp with a contactless gauge and it is operating within a good range.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
check your oil level because if low may cause engine to shut down. Could be low oil shutdown going bad also.

taxidermist

Threads
Also if you have the wrong fuel filter on it it will run out of gas then when you go to restart it the filter has time to refill and it starts and runs for a few till it runs out again. Dont ask me how i know this:confused2: I had a gen that did this to me after a tune up and filter change.

Rob