Export thread

8hp Briggs Driving me crazy

J

jmoore1

Hello

I'm looking for some help on my 8hp Briggs model 190432 type 0143-01 code 6909121.

Here is the story. I purchased the log splitter from a friend took it home put gas in it and pulled it a few times and it started up and ran great. It had been setting for about a year. I decided to pull the log splitter down and Restore it. I did not pull the engine apart just gave it a fresh paint job. Put it all back together and could not get it to start. So I checked to see if it had fire and no it did not. I pulled the cover off and found a mouse nest and the coil wire chewed up. I replaced it with part number 298968. Cleaned flywheel and air gapped to .010. Still no spark. Purchased a new set of point and installed them. I set gap to .020. Check for spark and I only get just a tingle at the end of the wire. I have tried two new coils and two new points sets. I have cleaned and set all air gaps many many times and it's the same. The flywheel magnet seem strong. I just don't know. This one has me stumped.

I

ILENGINE

Disconnect the kill wire at the kill switch, and then recheck the spark. may have somehow partially shorted out the kill wire. Any time that there is a possible problem with the ignition moule on a briggs engine with points, it is better to just install a magnetron ignition module and eliminate the points.

J

jmoore1

This engine does not have a kill switch it has the metal tab at the plug you push over to kill engine. This is a old one. I was told at the dealer you could not install a electronic ignition on this year engine.

Fish

Fish

Sounds like you need a new dealer. Just pop on a good used coil off of any 8-12 h.p. with a magnetron ignition and be done with it.

J

jmoore1

Wish it was that easy. I have put two new coils on it from two different dealers. Can it be changed to electronic if so what are the part numbers needed for that?

Fish

Fish

#398811, or what ever that supercedes to.

J

jmoore1

#398811, or what ever that supercedes to.

I guess I'll give that a try.

Fish

Fish

Here's a guy doing a 5 h.p., he shows the old points coil, and the new magnetron. Don't do some of the things he does, he looks like a fin breaker. I always just
recommend to cut the wire to the points, and leave the flywheel alone, that eliminates many of the horror stories and wasted money.

converting points to electronic ignition - Bing Videos