7000 Series Kohler Rich

1948man

Threads
Pull the breather off at the air filter end
Problem goes away = blown head gasket
The second check is to run the engine then turn it off and immediately it stops spinning pull the dip stick
Wafts of grey/white smoke = blown head gasket .
The mower is running well now. I cleaned the carb and suspect when I altered the solenoid earlier maybe I somehow caused the floats to bind upon reassembly. I still seem to feel some air current near the dipstick tube but the tests for a blown head gasket definitely come up negative. I eventually want to get the solenoid working. I read in a repair manual I found online that you should not leave a multimeter probe in the solenoid plug too long because you could damage the circuit. I'm no wizard with a multi-meter and the owner's manual made no mention of this. I guess my next move may be to remove the shroud so I can get a better look at the wiring and see if I see anything obviously chafed or otherwise damaged. It's not real easy to find a wiring diagram for this engine and the one in the repair manual is hard for me (a non-electrician) to figure out. It seems the wire to the solenoid is a red one straight from the pt of origin in the diagram.

1948man

Threads
Speaking only for me, my anti-afterfire solenoid failed and shut down my mower at the farthest end of my yard. Mine was that 1%.
As a rule, I turn off my gasline shutoff before turning the mower off, so no afterfire bang.
Yeah, I discovered I can shut the gas off without getting off the seat.

SamB

Threads
Boy, I just don't why people just snip off those solenoid plungers. 99% of the time these solenoid are fine. All they do is keep the engine from blow apart the muffler at times.

Also need the actually model number of the mower and the model/spec number for the engine. Just going by the XT1-LT46 CC is showing MTD engines used on them the last few years.
So I maybe should replace my after fire solenoid? TIA

SamB

Threads
Okay, the only thing I can google for TIA is transient ischemic attack????
TIA is text shorthand for "Thanks in advance". As in Thanks in advance for any advice on the afterfire solenoid replacement.

Born2Mow

Threads
Reasonable causes of running "rich"....
• Fuel in the engine oil. (Oil MUST be changed.)
• Choke in the ON position. Either stuck there or not responding.
• Float level set too high
• Float bowl float unable to float. May be filled with liquid from a tiny leak.
• Trash in the float bowl needle valve
• Main jet loose or fallen out