6 hp Briggs Flywheel removal

Double E

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - new to the forum. I have a horizontal shaft B&S 6hp from the 60s, found 1962 cast into the flywheel. There is no spark so I want to remove the flywheel to check out the points and condenser but can't get past the inner part of the recoil starter. This is the part that has 6 balls inside it and appears to be pressed on the crankshaft. I have tried using a small puller but the back side of it is beveled so the fingers on the puller have no where to grab. This piece looks to be made of pot metal so have refrained from getting too physical. So any tips on how to remove this? Once this is off the flywheel removal will be a breeze:)

Thanks, Eric

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You're lucky that you haven't gotten a grip on it. It is threaded on using RH threading

Double E

Forum Newbie
Threads
You're lucky that you haven't gotten a grip on it. It is threaded on using RH threading
Threaded on, as if it was the flywheel nut? That makes sense since there is no nut to be seen. Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be gentle, parts are long gone for that critter.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the OP posts the model, type code numbers along with the date code we would have idea of it actual age.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you'll probably need something like this.. like ST said post the identification numbers.
1626968549800.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are careful a pipe wrench can be used to remove it. Dont buggar up the ears. A hammer is not your friend here.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That and a lot of Briggs parts are tough or impossible to get now.

slomo

Gord Baker

Threads
You can get a small solid state item that can be wired in without fly wheel removal. Had it done on old Rototiller.
It replaces the points.