5hp tecumseh horizontal. on John deere snow blower 826 model

yjownzme

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 5hp tecumseh horizontal. on John deere snow blower 826 model
Ok guys.. finally got around to a actual compression test and not the Ole finger on the plug hole test. And the results are NOT GOOD. I HAVE ZERO compression on this engine.sorry to waste your time up to this point. But it felt like decent compression on my finger. At TDC both valves are closed and hold some wd40 for a good while. I guess that brings me to bad rings. I think I'm going to try and rebuild this motor myself. I don't see it being very difficult. Going off of the numbers I posted. What motor do I have.. hs50? Hs40? I will buy some rings and get it all fixed up

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 5hp tecumseh horizontal. on John deere snow blower 826 model
In post number 9 you said you had an HM80-155317M, which are the numbers you will need in obtaining parts. I suggest that you tear down the engine first before you order any parts. Mic the cylinder and crankshaft to see if you are going to need an oversized piston and rings and/or undersized crankshaft. Cost of the parts may be more than you wish to spend. Many small engine shops have those engines lying around that you might be able to pick up for $50-75. That old SnowKing engine was a mule and there are still a lot of them out there today.