526 Traction problem fixed

JimNicol

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Grasshopper pro-sumer 526 suffers from poor traction with the turf tire 20 by 8 on 10inch rim. On any ground that is not flat, a tirespin, and turf tear out is imminent. I tried the chevron lug, I wasted my money. All that results is that you dig the hole quicker and on slopes the mower wants to slide to the bottom. I spent the money to try the chevron. Learn from my mistake. The solution for me was to go to Kenda 22 by 11 on stock 10 inch rim (any traction tread that you like). This wider tire needs a spacer to clear the frame, these can be found on the internet, look for 5 lug on 4.5 pattern, same as some older jeeps. I picked the two inch to avoid having to cut off the stock extra long wheel studs The taller tire on paper looks like it might throw the deck height off, but it does not. The low pressure inflation you can run gives lots of sidewall flex (cushioning) putting the deck in very close to the same position as the 20 in tire. The ride improvement in noteworthy, after 5 hours in the seat my back feels the benefit of the softer ride sidewall. As you know the Parker wheel drive pumps deliver far more torque than necessary so the larger circumference tire results in a faster mower (if you need it) there is no compromise in power delivery. Grasshopper is well engineered however they have missed the mark on the 526 tire size, not to mention the ridiculously small fuel tank.

Last edited: