Export thread

48 dodge

48 dodge

Hello everyone I have a John Deer L110 that is my father in law`s that is not running .It pulls a vacuum in the block and it will not run if the choke is not on and the fill tube [dipstick] is in and tight . any ideas

B

Bwells

Sounds like a good time to clean the carburetor. What does a 48 dodge have to do with this?

I had a '48 Studebaker p/up.

Catherine

Catherine

:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.

48 dodge

I had a '48 Studebaker p/up.
Kool mine is dump truck

Cool, mine I made slightly modified.

Attachments

48 dodge

Nice i`m still working on mine .IMG_0371.JPG
Code:

That's nice, I always liked the butterfly hoods. I did have a 1957 Dodge P/up, no butterfly. And I had to put a SBC engine in it..

cpurvis

cpurvis

SBC = Small Block Chrysler or Small Block Chevy?

I've got my eye on an old R700 Mack tandem tractor sitting in a field. Would love to restore it before the vandals completely destroy it but I am not made out of money.

Small Block CHEVY...is how I roll. :cool:

Would you believe I used to drive an R-700 Mack, pulled low-boy for excavating co. Many moons ago.

That would be cool to restore. But I still like the look of the B-Model Macks. B-61 w/quad-box. No power buy 20 gears. LOL

cpurvis

cpurvis

Small block Chevy is (in my mind) the best V8 car engine ever made. It's astounding how close the designers got to "right " on the first try.

I thought maybe you'd go with a 340 to keep it in the family, so to speak.

My only experience with a Mack R-700 was a few days rental. It had the Maxi Dyne and a 5-speed. AMAZING torque rise. I owned a 3406B Cat and the Mack would out-pull it. I liked the looks of the B-61 Thermodyne but never got to drive one or a Triplex. I did drive a Ford dump truck with 5x4 which I would guess is somewhat similar. 20 'gears' but you don't use them all. Takes a few hours to find the right combinations then you're set. I used the back transmission as a clutch; find the gear you want in the main box, then find the right one in the rear. Slick as glass; no grinding. I liked the two sticks better than a Fuller RR.

Anyway, if I had the money I'd go ask if the owner wants that R-700 hauled off. It'd make a good parade or show truck.

cpurvis said: Small block Chevy is (in my mind) the best V8 car engine ever made. It's astounding how close the designers got to "right " on the first try. I agree 100%.

I thought maybe you'd go with a 340 to keep it in the family, so to speak. NO, I like to break with tradition.

My only experience with a Mack R-700 was a few days rental. It had the Maxi Dyne and a 5-speed. AMAZING torque rise. (noted by the Brass colored bull dog on the nose of hood.) And big honking Turbo, to make that 5 speed work well.. I owned a 3406B Cat and the Mack would out-pull it. I have no doubt it would.

I liked the looks of the B-61 Thermodyne but never got to drive one or a Triplex. They remind me of 32 Fords in a way.. I learned to drive dumps on a B-61 Du-plex, I did drive a Ford dump truck with 5x4 which I would guess is somewhat similar. Yes sounds like. 20 'gears' but you don't use them all. You do if you are trying to climb a mountain with a Cat* G-12 Grader on back. Takes a few hours to find the right combinations then you're set.Yep. I used the back transmission as a clutch; find the gear you want in the main box, then find the right one in the rear. Slick as glass; no grinding. I hear that. I liked the two sticks better than a Fuller RR.
I was taught to split gears, you reach your left arm thru steering wheel & grab one stick, & other hand grab other, let off throttle briefly & shift both at once. Like hot butter.... Smooth as silk. :cool:

Anyway, if I had the money I'd go ask if the owner wants that R-700 hauled off. It'd make a good parade or show truck. That would be a cool parade/show truck.

Back in the day the co. I was driving & wrenching for bought a new "Glider Kit"... It was a New R-700 Mack, no engine/trans or rears, you just got the cab on extend frame rails (cut the length yourself for your needs) & your pick for front axle rating. And build your machine.

Well we built a mean machine named "Big Pappy" we put in a 335" Cummings with a spiced up pump & injectors. 15 speed trans with Deep Reduction, 3 speed jake, & twin-screw 44 rears, & tag axle.. Made one mean tractor. Straight stack, & easy to get a ticket in town hitting the jake, with no muffler.. LOL

cpurvis

cpurvis

I'd forgotten about the Gliders...used to see them all the time, but not lately. BYOD! (Bring Your Own Drivetrain)

Gonna have to make a list someday of all the crates I've driven or owned. 1958 Diamond T...335 Cummins, 5 speed main, 3-speed rears; 1964 Emeryville Corn Binder...265 V8 Cummins, no-spring Hendrickson suspension, same 5-speed main w/3-speed rears; 1956 R-170 IHC, 6 cyl Red Diamond(?), crazy shift pattern 5 speed.

Just a small sample.

Yes that glider was a first for me.

Cool, Interesting list,
Besides many Macks, I can list Brockway tri-axle Cat* w/10 speed. White Road Boss tractor w/13 speed. I have to think about this more, been like a hundred years so it seems anyhow. But I've pushed a few crates as well..