Export thread

42 inch 2020Toro timecutter ss zeroturn burns grass under muffler, what do I do?

A

a022mil

Will Toro fix this, it is only 2 weeks old, never had a riding mower that did this, for $3,000 this should not happen.

B

bertsmobile1

Should be a heat shield under the muffler.
If that is in place then it is tough luck.

I got my Toro MX Timecutter back in 2014 New. Have the Kawasaki engine, & no heat shield under my muffler either.
It has never burnt the grass under it. But when I start mowing I don't stop, but do park in same place to blow it off after & wipe it down..

Still no burnt grass. I'm thinking with newest emission regulations, yours is running extra, extra lean, thus making it run hotter.

I would bet your spark plugs are snow white on the porcelain.

What engine ? Does it run good ? Cause if it has an intake leak, it will cause a lean condition, & should be corrected asap.

A

a022mil

I got my Toro MX Timecutter back in 2014 New. Have the Kawasaki engine, & no heat shield under my muffler either.
It has never burnt the grass under it. But when I start mowing I don't stop, but do park in same place to blow it off after & wipe it down..

Still no burnt grass. I'm thinking with newest emission regulations, yours is running extra, extra lean, thus making it run hotter.

I would bet your spark plugs are snow white on the porcelain.

What engine ? Does it run good ? Cause if it has an intake leak, it will cause a lean condition, & should be corrected asap.

A

a022mil

Just bought it from dealer 3 weeks ago, it is a 2020 model 4225 with toro twin motor, 42 inch zero turn, brand new,runs very good, no other problems except when I stop for less than 1 minute, the next day I notice burnt grass where I stopped, to drink water, I loaded 5 small bricks from back yard on top of some cardboard to take to front yard, bot stopped o longer than a minute to do this. It has done this since day 1, I have mowed probably 5 different times, cutting my grass here in Toledo, Ohio at 3 1/2 inch, yesterday cut it at 4i inches, calling toro tomorrow,

Shouldn't be burning grass. I would call Toro as well.

Sorry I don't have more to offer..

A

a022mil

Shouldn't be burning grass. I would call Toro as well.

Sorry I don't have more to offer..
I called toro, they said not to stop it on the grass, stop it on concrete, blacktop or dirt, quess you can not stop for 45 seconds to grab a sip of water, this does not make sense at all, maybe should not buy toro mowers!

I was never informed of that back in 2014 when I bought mine new.

I think it is because of the new emission standards for 2020. ( as I previously mentioned). Running super lean = hotter.

I called toro, they said not to stop it on the grass, stop it on concrete, blacktop or dirt, quess you can not stop for 45 seconds to grab a sip of water, this does not make sense at all, maybe should not buy toro mowers!

Maybe let the air filter get a little dirty, that would richen up the fuel burn. And would run a bit cooler.

StarTech

StarTech

Sounds like need to install an exhaust gas deflector on the muffler.

C

cruzenmike

Is the grass burnt under the general area of the muffler or only where the hot gasses come out? When you stop for 45 seconds to take a drink of water do you turn off your deck and throttle down all the way?

If it's under the whole muffler it is from an extreme amount of heat radiating from the muffler and again this speaks to the heat shield being missing or improperly mounted or a lean condition likes others have stated. If it is just where the exhaust gases come out, then yes, sitting there for any amount of time while not moving, especially at full throttle will kill the grass.

While this may be a new and unusual experience to you, not all mowers are made the same and thus the next brand of mower might not do this. On the other hand it might just require you to change how you operate the mower.

I would bet that if you cut your grass and then stopped in place over the grass and shit the mower down right away, it wouldn't hurt the grass. Residential zero turns are more likely to have this "potential" problem because the have downward pointed mufflers and sit very low to the ground. If you are coming from a traditional riding mower, the engines are seated higher and thus the mufflers are further from the ground.