Export thread

40micron fuel filter on a 4hp lv148ea-334005b engine?

F

flyONWire

Hello,
I recently rebuilt carburator Tecumseh 640339 on a 4hp lv148ea-334005b with weed eater deck.
I was wondering if installing an in-line 40micron (filters particulates a bit smaller than the diameter of a human hair and larger) on top of the in-fuel tank screen filter would increase filtration efficiency and keep the fuel entering the carburator cleaner? When using 10% or lower blended ethanol fuel.

Filter #:

Prime Line 7-02357-1 40 micron 1/4" ID​

I got the idea off a YouTube video I saw of someone installing a 150 micron for a 15hp lawnmower.

I

ILENGINE

40 micron could, be not guaranteed to cause flow restriction issues causing the tank to not completely empty. I was seeing some flow restriction issues on riders with gravity flow carbs on riders newer than 2012 when attempting to use 40 micron filters. Part of that issue is due to the emission controls systems causing a slight vacuum on the fuel tank.

And I don't use any filter with less than a 75 micron filtration. Had issues when using 150 micron filters on riders with allowing sand to enter the carb and prevent the float valve from sealing.

F

flyONWire

40 micron could, be not guaranteed to cause flow restriction issues causing the tank to not completely empty. I was seeing some flow restriction issues on riders with gravity flow carbs on riders newer than 2012 when attempting to use 40 micron filters. Part of that issue is due to the emission controls systems causing a slight vacuum on the fuel tank.

And I don't use any filter with less than a 75 micron filtration. Had issues when using 150 micron filters on riders with allowing sand to enter the carb and prevent the float valve from sealing.
This is a 4hp small engine push mower with 148cc of displacement.
It didn't originally come with a filter, just a in-tank screen filter attached to the tank's outlet.

Just seen people installing filters on 7-15hp lawnmowers and figured if a smaller filter could be installed on a small engine to keep the engine cleaner.

there seems to be vacuum up from the carburator.
I see how a rider's fuel system like a John Deere sst15 could be affected by a finer filter as a secondary but for a small engine should it be okay and would it help at all?

Thanks.

I

ILENGINE

You can try it. Worse thing that could happen is it dies from fuel starvation with half a tank of gas.

M

MParr

Replace the line and leave the filter off.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I would use a White briggs filter. 5098K

F

flyONWire

Replace the line and leave the filter off.
Are you refering to the fuel inlet hose?
by "filter off" are you saying not to install an in-line filter?

F

flyONWire

I know they usually use 75 on tractor mowers without fuel pumps.
Given that a 148cc is 4hp engine is a small engine I don't think there's large enough particulates that require a 75+ filter.
The in-tank screen is already about 40 micron.
sometimes a bit of debris gets in the tank like sand and other mineral probably about 50 or more micron.
My concern was that if it's even worth it to install a in-line filter on one of the smaller engines. ty.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I know they usually use 75 on tractor mowers without fuel pumps.
Given that a 148cc is 4hp engine is a small engine I don't think there's large enough particulates that require a 75+ filter.
The in-tank screen is already about 40 micron.
sometimes a bit of debris gets in the tank like sand and other mineral probably about 50 or more micron.
My concern was that if it's even worth it to install a in-line filter on one of the smaller engines. ty.
Well, according to Briggs the Red Filters are for gravity feed and the white filters are for engines with pumps, however i've had no issues with using the white filters on gravity systems.

M

MParr

Are you refering to the fuel inlet hose?
by "filter off" are you saying not to install an in-line filter?
I’m saying replace the line from the tank to the carburetor and leave the filter off. Most push mowers don’t have fuel filters.

I

ILENGINE

Well, according to Briggs the Red Filters are for gravity feed and the white filters are for engines with pumps, however i've had no issues with using the white filters on gravity systems.
I won't use the red filter on anything. Too course of filtering and have had enough debris get through to hold the float valve open. White for gravity flow systems, and the 40 micron 84001895 for fuel pump systems. Or the 12 050 01-S for larger engines.

I

ILENGINE

I’m saying replace the line from the tank to the carburetor and leave the filter off. Most push mowers don’t have fuel filters.
Most push mowers have the filter built into the tank.

M

MParr

Most push mowers have the filter built into the tank.
Yep.

V

VegetiveSteam

It will either work or it won't. Worst that can happen if it doesn't is you're out the cost of the filter and will need a new fuel line. Some OEMs are using 10 micron filters on gravity feed systems so my belief is it will be fine.

I

ILENGINE

It will either work or it won't. Worst that can happen if it doesn't is you're out the cost of the filter and will need a new fuel line. Some OEMs are using 10 micron filters on gravity feed systems so my belief is it will be fine.
Which OEM's are using 10 micron filters for gravity flow systems. My overhead fuel tank with 10 micron filter won't flow with 18 inches of head without the pressure cap on the tank. I have had numerous lawn tractors with gravity flow that the tanks wouldn't completely empty with a 40 micron filter with the vapor recovery systems on the tanks, and had to switch them to 75 micron filters.

V

VegetiveSteam

Which OEM's are using 10 micron filters for gravity flow systems. My overhead fuel tank with 10 micron filter won't flow with 18 inches of head without the pressure cap on the tank. I have had numerous lawn tractors with gravity flow that the tanks wouldn't completely empty with a 40 micron filter with the vapor recovery systems on the tanks, and had to switch them to 75 micron filters.
Kohler

M

MParr

It won’t. You might get by with a 150 micron filter. Have at it. Make sure that you buy some extra fuel line, you will probably need it.
I wouldn’t fool with it. It’s not necessary.

V

VegetiveSteam

Okay now you have me thinking. Crap. I hate to misspeak on my very first post here.

There was an issue of fuel starvation on some brand-new Kohler engines a couple of years ago and we found Kohler had installed their 10 micron filter and thought sure we found the problem. Changed the filter to their 51 micron and the problem was still there. So we ruled out the 10 micron filter as being the issue. The more I think about it I may be remembering it wrong. It might have been we felt the 10 micro filter was too much for the pulse style fuel pump. I may have to see if I have any notes left on that issue.

M

MParr

Okay now you have me thinking. Crap. I hate to misspeak on my very first post here.

There was an issue of fuel starvation on some brand-new Kohler engines a couple of years ago and we found Kohler had installed their 10 micron filter and thought sure we found the problem. Changed the filter to their 51 micron and the problem was still there. So we ruled out the 10 micron filter as being the issue. The more I think about it I may be remembering it wrong. It might have been we felt the 10 micro filter was too much for the pulse style fuel pump. I may have to see if I have any notes left on that issue.
This is my go to fuel filter for pulse pump systems. Briggs and Kawasaki have similar filters. You dang sure don’t want one on a gravity feed system.

I

ILENGINE

The 10 micron Kohler fuel filter is used on either on their fuel pump carb type engines or used as a prefilter for the EFI engines.

I have used the 24 050 13-S filters for years on the larger Kohler and other large V twins with fuel pumps for years without issues. Used the 691035 now 84001895 40 micron Briggs filters on the gravity flow engines, but started having issues around 2012 when they started the vapor recovery systems, and putting a low vacuum on the fuel tanks, and the non vented fuel caps.

V

VegetiveSteam

Yes. The 13 is 10 micron and there is the 21 and 22. 75 and 51 micron respectively.