4.5 HP Briggs & S Dies after 10 minutes

Davisrf

Threads
Hi, It starts up on first pull, runs at proper RPM without variance, but dies after about 10 minutes. Wait 10 minutes and it starts up again. It MAY be doing this in hotter weather (75 deg plus) and not in cooler weather, but I haven't checked that out closely enough yet.
This engine built around 1992, type with carb that mounts directly onto the fuel tank (no carb bowl).

Thanks for your help, Steve

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Hi Steve,

I would recommend checking the simple things first.

- Check the fuel tank cap is breathing
- Check that you have the correct heat range spark plug. A genuine Briggs 992300 is best (It will have the B&S logo on it with BS-SV)

If not one of those post your Model, Type and Code so we can give you more precise troubleshooting advise.

Davisrf

Threads
Justin, tnx so much. I already checked the gas cap, it's fine. I do most of my repairs for years . I did think about the spark plug and will try your suggestion, although it has run for years using the same Champion Plug #..... and I also have a second lawnmower, same engine, using same plug for years (I put in a new plug each year)... but I realize that there can be heat related issues that may have occurred now with this mower that could be sensitive to heat range of the plug.
I will get the specs on the mower and get back to you today. If you or others could respond to what else the problem could be, that would be great because it may be a while before I can get the new plug and in meantime I'd like to explore any other possibilities
Tnx again, Steve

Davisrf

Threads
Justin, the no number anywhere on the engine itself. The mfr plate is Serial # 967 136 000 1 00 Poulan Weed Eater and another # is 112 20400 1977
B&S " SQ 4.5"
While I wait to get the B&S plug you recommend, any other ideas for me to check out. Tnx again, Steve