33S877 crankshaft end thread torque spec?

catmajan

Forum Newbie
Threads
After an incident with the bolt at the end of the crankshaft backing out I would like to know a rough torque spec for this bolt

I'll be applying thread locker as well, but I'd like to know how much force to be apply

Also, whats the proper way to secure the motor from turning while tightening this bolt?
Should I be removing the top cover and hold a wrench on the top nut/bolt?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I suspect the back out was lack of proper torque. I had one to do it years ago but haven't since I started to use the torque wrench ever since.

50-55 ft-lbs for the Grade 5 7/16 (.438) -20 bolt. Personally I use a large flat pry bar or screwdriver stuck in the flywheel ring gear and up against the coil's mounting post. But i supposed you could use the flywheel bolt since it is torqued to 110 ft-lbs.

Don't use anything stronger than blue Loctite to the threads. What ever you do DON"T use the red stuff especially if you use the surface prep/activator spray. You should also use a split lock washer under the head of the bolt. Personally I haven't had a need to use any Loctiite on these PTO bolts once torque them to 55 ft-lbs.