Export thread

320 mower deck zerk

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

what was the reasoning behind using pressed in grease zerks on the deck spindles? was wanting to replace the center one with a 90 degree one so i could access it better. thanks

BlazNT

BlazNT

Cheaper.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

figures :laughing:

BlazNT

BlazNT

Pull it out and replace with screw in style. It will work just fine.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

ok. will i need to tap it or just screw one in? thanks

B

bertsmobile1

One would assume ther are self tapping grease nipples although I have never seen one retail.
Grease nipples are usually a tapered pipe thread so they seal.
Any good bearing , machine tool type shop will keep them.
I use metric ones so I just tap the hole one size smaller if it is going into alloy which will deform to the nipple.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Use a 1/4 28 tap for a screw in fitting or install a press in fitting , they make then in 90%. I install the press in fittings with a driver make to install them. The problem with taping the hole for a screw in fitting you can get metal chips into the bearing which will do more harm then good.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

i'm thinking more and more that maybe the one that's already in it isn't THAT much of a pain to grease. LOL

reynoldston

reynoldston

i'm thinking more and more that maybe the one that's already in it isn't THAT much of a pain to grease. LOL

Very smart move. If you have a grease gun with a rubber hose might make it easier. They also make a 90% adapter for your grease gun fitting.

Glyn Robinson

Glyn Robinson

i did not know that a 90 degree adapter was available. thanks