31cc MTD 2-cycle compression test numbers?

bond-007

Forum Newbie
Threads
Using a standard automotive tester, I'm seeing 60psi max after a couple of pulls. My Toro string trimmer shows 90psi. Not sure what to make of the result, since I don't have the repair manual/specs for the engine.
If the compression is wrong, what could have gone wrong? It seems unlikely the cylinder is scored, more likely something I did has caused the valve to not operate as intended and provide adequate compression.
With the sparkplug replaced and the EZ fire lever (choke?) engaged, I eventually get combustion smoke from the muffler after a few pulls and it occasionally sounds like it will almost fire but not quite.

It ran fine (years ago) but the pull-start mechanism failed. I replaced it (incorrectly) and found a sheared flywheel key (integral).
I got a new flywheel (with an integral key) and it is all back together, and I am trying to get it to start.
Supposedly the flywheel is the correct part but I suppose it could be wrong in terms of too many variables changing to isolate the issue (I do get spark on the spark tester and can see it).

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First a standard automobile can't be use with such small CC engines; unless, it is designed to do so. I use an Actron version that is. For most 2 cycles you will need a bare minimum compression of 100 psi.