Export thread

317 sometimes wont start - clicks

S

slippingwest

Hi All

First time poster. I have a 317 that has a newer engine in it (i was told its about 3 years old and from what i could find i think its called an ONAN?).

I bought this used and the issue is it sometimes works fine but then sometimes will just click. nothing seems to fix it and i have had it at a john deere tractor shop and had a new starter put in, and i think a new fly wheel as well.

I do not know anything about tractors but am trying to learn

i would really like to fix this and am now trying to do this on my own. the guys at the shop thought it was because the engine was different than a John Deere (they got it as a trade in)

i am hoping they didnt dig into it that deep and i can figure this out with some help.

thanks very much for any help you can give

quick video of me turning the key

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9riwkxlqedim2i/317.MOV?dl=0

Attachments

M

mowerman05

If it is a hydro with a lever on the control panel make sure it is in neutral position as this was a issue with my 316

M

mechanic mark

Check all ground cables and straps at engine making sure all are tight and secure, try moving them by hand, let us know what you find, thanks.

S

shiftsuper175607

Why are you flipping the start switch so fast?
What happens if you turn it and hold it?... in the start position.

S

slippingwest

Hi

the same thing happens

also wanted to update you with some info i have found out

1) the ONAN engine is from 1990

2) The tractor is from 79-83

3) apparently there is a starter enhancement kit that might help. i am going to check all the cables and check for loose ends as well first though

anyone familiar with these kits?

thanks

JD is best

JD is best

I have one on mine, the engine is a Kawasaki and it is very easy to install.

R

Rivets

The first thing I would check is to make sure that the ground from the battery is good and clean at both ends. Remove, clean and reattach tightly. This is a service manual for your engine. The 317 did come with an Onan engine.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/965-0762.pdf