Engine 3 Hp Briggs

theelboxer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 3 hp briggs and Straton. Hadn't been cranked in 8 years. Finally got it to turn over for 5 seconds. I did this for about 15 tries and sprayed out the carb with cleaner. Must have washed into cylinder and stuck the rings, I now have no compression. I have the plug hole filled with carb cleaner and the oil drain open. Hope to fill up with carb cleaner tomorrow and see if it will break loose. Any other suggestions? Hope some one can help me out if I put new pistons and rings in. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
more likely to have stuck a valve open then stuck the rings and dropping compression to 0

Mini Motors

Threads
My guess is that the rings are dry(no oil) and there lies the compression issue. Carb cleaner in the cylinder will only remove any oil film that may be there. Thoroughly drain and clean any carb cleaner out of there, and replace with a squirt of oil before you try to start it again. I suggest Marvel Mystery Oil for this as it will help if you have a stuck valve. If you don't get all the carb cleaner out and put some lubrication in, you could scratch and damage the cylinder walls. Drain all fluids from the crankcase and allow to dry before filling with 10W30 oil.

Cleaning the carb is in order. And just spraying cleaner in there is no good. You really need to disassemble it and clean any and all passageways in the body of the carb.

Bam

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the advice so far fails, it would not be difficult to take the cylinder head off. Just undo opposite nuts evenly a little at a time. Use plently of WD40 or similar then ease the head off carefully and hopefully without damaging the gasket although they are cheap enough. Then after application of more WD40 to cylinder and valve stems turn the engine over and you will see if the valves are operating smoothly and if the valve seats or cylinder walls are badly rusted.

In the UK you can buy a complete mower with "Classic" B&S 3.5hp motor , cheaper than the cost of an exchange engine, so it is not worth wasting money on the old motor if it will not revive with simple remedies. Good Luck