22 hp kohler excess oil use

kellysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the help. i can get use of compression tester later this week and will check. with this many hours on it any opinion if i should just buy a new engine? i have seen them on internet for 15-1900. the rest or the machine seems to be worth it rather than buying a new or another used one.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That all depends on what you find. Do you have a good mechanic in your area? Sorry, I would never recommend that with so little info in front of me. Not even rebuilding. At this point I would have to know things like; age and condition of the unit, type of uses, operator, etc. If it were that easy, all my posts would be replace the engine.

kellysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
while waiting for a friend w/ compression tester i did a bit of looking, found 2 head bolts finger tight. decided to just start tearing apart, found intake bolts on left side less than finger tight. pulled heads and both gaskets had been leaking, one into the valve one out the side of block. checked for warping, both look good, the tin shrouds seen like a grass collector, any trouble if i leave them off? ordered parts, should be back together this weekend. again thanks for the help. will post when running again

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, you must have the shrouds on while running the engine, they are a critical part of the cooling system. Looks like you found your problem. Insert new gaskets and torque properly.

redfish9

Threads
Put in a new breather and its fixed ,kohlers are natorious on breathers

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to disagree redfish, but he found loose head bolts. Running an engine with loose bolts is the fastest way to blow a gasket. He's going to have to replace them anyway. Why add an extra expense when he's found a probable cause?

kellysdad

Forum Newbie
Threads
rivets, back together and running fine. just a hint of oil on air filter plate. thanks so much to you and the people who run this forum. one small problem i have had for along time, how do i get my wife to mow the lawn? thanks again, kellysdad.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We can solve a lot of problems on this forum, but that one is "For Your Eyes Only" Good Luck