22 Broadmoor Deck Roller Questions

jws86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, new to the forum and looking for a little help. Model 2691671 48" 2022 Broadmoor.

My question pertains to the roller on the back of the deck. I love the way this thing stripes, but it can be a pain. Does anyone know if there is any adjustment to this at all? For a few reasons. One, when it their "transport" mode the roller still catches on my ramps heading into my shed. I can't store the mower where I need to. Can the travel be adjusted on these rollers so they don't hang so far down? Also, while mowing and a pretty high height the roller seems to dig farther and farther into the ground as I raise the deck. It makes it difficult at times to turn or backup while mowing. The mower can get stuck and the tires spin.

jws86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Mark. I've read through my manuals and wasn't able to find anything. I just find it hard to believe Simplicity manufactured this mower without any adjustment opportunities for the rear rollers. I've come across YouTube videos on some older models where a guy was able to bring his up to at least get more clearance in transport mode, but my setup on the 2022 model is completely different. All the deck manual talks about is installing/removing the deck, blade replacement and belt replacement.

bkeller500

Threads
FWIW....I have a Simplicity courier XT with the stripping roller. The roller on my unit has 4-bolts connecting it to the deck and 4 holes in the deck brackets. I can raise or lower mine a couple of inches. None of the settings are perfect for my liking. It tends to be little too high or a little to low depending on which holes I use. I just lowered the roller and am only using 2 bolts in the lowest holes so now the roller will pivot and drag on the grass. Because I am only using 1 bolt on each side it swings a little as it rolls along, First mow looked much better. It follows the turf and drags along and lifts at his spots and lowers itself by gravity. No problem backing up at all. The deck is not being supported by the roller at all.My deck has 4 chain links that attach it to the frame. The roller is independent now!!!!

jws86

Forum Newbie
Threads
FWIW....I have a Simplicity courier XT with the stripping roller. The roller on my unit has 4-bolts connecting it to the deck and 4 holes in the deck brackets. I can raise or lower mine a couple of inches. None of the settings are perfect for my liking. It tends to be little too high or a little to low depending on which holes I use. I just lowered the roller and am only using 2 bolts in the lowest holes so now the roller will pivot and drag on the grass. Because I am only using 1 bolt on each side it swings a little as it rolls along, First mow looked much better. It follows the turf and drags along and lifts at his spots and lowers itself by gravity. No problem backing up at all. The deck is not being supported by the roller at all.My deck has 4 chain links that attach it to the frame. The roller is independent now!!!!
Yeah unfortunately I've learned as of late the zerto turn model decks are not made the same way as the lawn tractors. My roller unfortunately is designed to ride on the ground and support the deck as far as I can tell.

Chuter

Threads
Back to the Broadmoor: The most unique feature of Simplicity tractors, in my opinion, is that instead of carrying the deck, they pull it. This lets the rollers adjust the cut height close to the blades, rather than relying on the tractor tires and all the variables between them and the deck. When you cut the grass tall like JWS86 and I do, it puts the rollers farther down, and the roller linkage is standing almost straight up, leading to the digging in on corners and when backing up. Think of this: if you are pushing something, you can push a lot harder if you get down to the level of what you are pushing and have your arms straight out in front of you. Try pushing the same load standing up straight with your arms straight down. Any clumps or high spots tend to accentuate the issue.

Unless you have loose or missing hardware, I don't think there is a tractor/mower fix to this problem, you will have to change how you use it. To get into the shed, you may have to lower the cutting height, and raise it back up next time you mow. And/or change the floor lip or whatever it is you are hanging up on. That's probably not easy. I have a similar problem getting my Conquest on and off my landscaping trailer - the angle at the top of the ramp is too sharp to let the deck clear. I'm going to tty putting some ramps under the trailer ramp to lessen the angle.

As far as the yard goes, the quickest fix is to do less backing up by making circles instead. Or choose a lower cut height that lets you back up easier. A longer term solution is to modify the landscaping of your yard. I use a garden hose to create gentle curves that I know my tractor can handle, then kill the grass behind it, dig down and put wood chips in the dead area. You'll find you mow much quicker this way, since you rarely have to back up. You'll have little or no trimming to do as well.

bkeller500

Threads
Back to the Broadmoor: The most unique feature of Simplicity tractors, in my opinion, is that instead of carrying the deck, they pull it. This lets the rollers adjust the cut height close to the blades, rather than relying on the tractor tires and all the variables between them and the deck. When you cut the grass tall like JWS86 and I do, it puts the rollers farther down, and the roller linkage is standing almost straight up, leading to the digging in on corners and when backing up. Think of this: if you are pushing something, you can push a lot harder if you get down to the level of what you are pushing and have your arms straight out in front of you. Try pushing the same load standing up straight with your arms straight down. Any clumps or high spots tend to accentuate the issue.

Unless you have loose or missing hardware, I don't think there is a tractor/mower fix to this problem, you will have to change how you use it. To get into the shed, you may have to lower the cutting height, and raise it back up next time you mow. And/or change the floor lip or whatever it is you are hanging up on. That's probably not easy. I have a similar problem getting my Conquest on and off my landscaping trailer - the angle at the top of the ramp is too sharp to let the deck clear. I'm going to tty putting some ramps under the trailer ramp to lessen the angle.

As far as the yard goes, the quickest fix is to do less backing up by making circles instead. Or choose a lower cut height that lets you back up easier. A longer term solution is to modify the landscaping of your yard. I use a garden hose to create gentle curves that I know my tractor can handle, then kill the grass behind it, dig down and put wood chips in the dead area. You'll find you mow much quicker this way, since you rarely have to back up. You'll have little or no trimming to do as well.
That's the best explanation on the simplicity deck roller I've seen. Now I understand better what I was fighting. I have had 2 different simplicity tractors and 2 simplicity zero turns and each had different deck roller configurations. And each had some great benefits and each had some weaknesses. I love to cut my grass at 3.5-4" and have a berm that causes some deck tilting as I navigate lengthwise. I got some spots where the ZT's lost traction and some spots where the tractor mounted decks had scars from the deck roller as it was dragging on the slant of the berm forcing the weight on the low side of the roller. I like the idea of the deck roller but on my property I just couldn't get the overall finish I wanted. I finally gave up on Simplicity and recently moved over to a Walker where the deck is out front and is pushed forward by the drive wheels. So far a much better finish look and a much better appearance from the street.