2020 Troy Bilt 42 forward shift problem. Sometimes.

Monkey Poop

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2020 Troy Bilt 42 forward shift problem. Sometimes.
Hi, I've been using this mower exclusively and I'm on my fourth season. I would guess it has about 100 hours on it.
I have recently had a problem where when it first happened (a couple weeks ago) when I went from reverse to forward, I got a click click click, no movement. I pushed the brake in, went to neutral the. to forward and it was fine. You can shift 15-20 times without this happening. Today I mowed again, was fine. Went into reverse, then back to forward, and nothing. No click, just no movement forward, went to neutral back to drive and it was fine. Then 2x more I had the click Happen. I am not sure if this is happening when I go into reverse, and never fully letting the brake out before going back into f. I have section on my lawn where I need to go from f to r, and don't habe the room to fully release the clutch/ brake into either f or r before switching. I tried that reset where I turn the mower on, and put the selector in neutral, go too ok the highest speed, press the clutch, and go into a lower speed to reset the mechanism for the belt. What else could this possibly be? It is not a drive problem as it is kot popping out of gear.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before we go further we need to know which transmission you have
From what you have posted I am assuming it is a variable pitch pulley that only goes forward with a F-N-R shift to change directions
However we really need to know the full model numer off the tag under the seat as it could also be a VST tranny and if so then it has a totally different set of problems .

Monkey Poop

Forum Newbie
Threads
it's the one with the 7 speed on the dash and f n r. I did. the reset as explained in the manual

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most likely with not fully disengaging the drive before shifting you have damaged the clutch dogs of the drive shaft gears in inside that CVT transaxle.

Monkey Poop

Forum Newbie
Threads
I always stop before shifting. There are times where I need to say back up, go into reverse, start letting up in the brake, not fully let the brake out, stop and go into first. Not still moving backwards and going back into first.