2020 Kohler KT735-3077 - Won't turn over.

Paulstx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been reading different posts, but I am still unsure.

2020 Cub Cadet with a KT735-3077. Engine will not turn over. Battery is fully charged. It acts like the compression is too high. I removed the spark plugs and it turns over with no problem. I have read that some of the engines have a compression release and some do not. I have also read that the valves are not adjustable. Any help would be appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First the camshaft doesn't have an ACR (automatic compression release)
1675619314590.png
Second the rockers are adjustable.
1675619423454.png

Third the starter used on these engines are bad about wearing the top bushing leading the starter binding under load.

I would first adjust the valve clearance and make sure I don't have a voltage drop at the starter.

Paulstx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great. I will check the valve clearance and for voltage drop.

Thank you

smalltimerpm

Threads
First the camshaft doesn't have an ACR (automatic compression release)
View attachment 63380
Second the rockers are adjustable.
View attachment 63382

Third the starter used on these engines are bad about wearing the top bushing leading the starter binding under load.

I would first adjust the valve clearance and make sure I don't have a voltage drop at the starter.
Definitely gonna be a valve clearance issue resulting the starter to fail

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I would check for voltage drop and or a ground issue to start. It only takes a couple of minutes once you have your voltmeter in hand. MTD uses fairly small gauge battery and ground cables and they have been know to cause issues especially when coupled with this engine. I posted the procedure I use for voltage drop and ground testing in the MTD section of this site yesterday on page 3 under a Feb 5th post titled Mower no start.

I can't say your valves don't need adjusted but being out of adjustment won't cause a hard crank issue on this engine. As mentioned in another post there is no compression release so the engine is always cranking under full compression. Theoretically if the valve clearance was way too tight it could have a valve slightly open but that would lower compression. If that were the case it would cause the engine to possibly turn easier not harder.