2018 Ikon X with 2006 Kohler?

Turbodriven

Threads
I just bought a 2018 Arien IkonX 52 and noticed that the Kohler Courage 22 that is on it has a "build date" of 1/31/2006. Anyone know if that seems normal? A motor that was built 12 years before the mower? Or should I assume this has a different motor than what it came with? Just curious really.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Definitely a transplant motor as most new equipment when built will have a motor within 6 months of the equipment manufactured date, usually even less closer the build date most times.

Turbodriven

Threads
Thanks. That's even more a mystery then. I'm left to wonder if it was replaced with NOS somehow or a full used motor. Probably the latter. No idea what the true hours are now. Ugh. I'll have to research if it has compression release to know if I can even get a compression reading to gauge the health. Seems to run fine though. I'm definitely overthinking it, LOL.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Instead of buying a compression gauge, I recommend purchasing a leak down tester. Will provide a better idea as to the condition of the engine and much more useful as a diagnostic tool down the road.