2016 XT1 46" mower won't start

Tskymed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need some help with my mower. It will turn over like a champ, but won't start. I replaced the battery, the fuel filter and the spark plugs. the model is XT1-LT46-KH. In the previous years it would not start when the outside temp was 60 or below but now yesterday it was a little over but no luck. Any suggestions please? Thank you!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
hard to give good information when we don't know what the engine is.
However what you describe dose happen when the valve lash is too big.

Tskymed

Forum Newbie
Threads
hard to give good information when we don't know what the engine is.
However what you describe dose happen when the valve lash is too big.
I have the model number, XT1-LT46-KH, don't know if that helps?

Mower King

Threads
Check or have someone that knows mower engines well, check and make sure the choke is working correctly...Kohlers are notorious for the throttle cable slipping and causing the choke not to close enough to start the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you have the 7000 series Kohler KT725 2 cylinder engine .
AFAIK this is not a specific model problem so I go back to the original suggestion to check the valve lash
Take the rocker covers & spark plugs out then turn the engine over by hand slowly .
Each valve should go in & out exactly the same amount
If they don't then you might have a cam wear problem
Set the valves to 0.004" and see if the problem goes away.

Tskymed

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you have the 7000 series Kohler KT725 2 cylinder engine .
AFAIK this is not a specific model problem so I go back to the original suggestion to check the valve lash
Take the rocker covers & spark plugs out then turn the engine over by hand slowly .
Each valve should go in & out exactly the same amount
If they don't then you might have a cam wear problem
Set the valves to 0.004" and see if the problem goes away.
Thank you, that is a little over my head, lol so I am going to have to find someone who is better at doing that then I am:)

Tskymed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check or have someone that knows mower engines well, check and make sure the choke is working correctly...Kohlers are notorious for the throttle cable slipping and causing the choke not to close enough to start the engine.
Thank you, I will check that. I would appear its getting gas so not sure if that means the choke is working?