2005 Troy-Bilt B&S no crank

TroyBilt2005

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so I'm new to this forum site and figured I'd get help from knowledgable people who know more than I do about this mower, but she had been a reliable piece of machinery up until fall of 2013 which was the last time she ran. It's an 18 hp B&S engine with a 42" deck, with the mower having over 650 hours of work time since it was new. Anyway, in the fall of 2013 it quit wanting to turn over with the starter, and it's not seized because it will turn over by hand. Me being my dumb self back in that time I thought it was a battery issue, well I was wrong. The gauge on the dash will show 12.6 volts when you turn the key, but when you turn it to the start position, literally nothing happens, but it will show a voltage drop from 12.6 to 11.4 volts, so idk if the solenoid has went bad, or the starter is bad, because I need this mower working again. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for my rambling.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the spark plug out and try the starter again.
Make sure the spark plug is earthed and well away form the spark plug hole because if the cylinder is full of gas it can ignite when expelled out the plug hole.
If the motor tuns over easily and no raw gas or oil blows out the plug hole then it is time to adjust the valve lash.

ingigo

Threads
Make sure the engine works fine... air filter, spark plugs, oil, GOOD GASOLINE, even the safety switches. I have had this happen before and I just checked the starter with a multi meter while the ignition is ON, then worked up the chain, solenoid and so on. I have even had the ignition switches go bad. Then I just got a new starter and "hot wired" the mower to life. If there is NO click when you turn the ignition, test the solenoid, then work all the electronics, seat, brake and PTO sensors first, then the rest. I am crazy, but not dumb....I feel it is an electrical problem...what I do not know, but I am not a multi meter. GOOD LUCK!!!! Make sure you reference the both the troy-bilt and the B&S manuals. the troy-bilt manual will most likely have an electrical diagram from the entire chassis to the starter of the B&S engine. Good luck and a multi-meter is your friend!

TroyBilt2005

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure the engine works fine... air filter, spark plugs, oil, GOOD GASOLINE, even the safety switches. I have had this happen before and I just checked the starter with a multi meter while the ignition is ON, then worked up the chain, solenoid and so on. I have even had the ignition switches go bad. Then I just got a new starter and "hot wired" the mower to life. If there is NO click when you turn the ignition, test the solenoid, then work all the electronics, seat, brake and PTO sensors first, then the rest. I am crazy, but not dumb....I feel it is an electrical problem...what I do not know, but I am not a multi meter. GOOD LUCK!!!! Make sure you reference the both the troy-bilt and the B&S manuals. the troy-bilt manual will most likely have an electrical diagram from the entire chassis to the starter of the B&S engine. Good luck and a multi-meter is your friend!

Yes, the Troy-bilt manual does have a wiring diagram! I technically winterized it when it was put out of service, I drained all the gas from the tank, lines, and carb. The air filter, spark plug, and oil are good, even had a new oil filter put on the week before it quit. From my ears, when I turned the key you would hear a click. If my memory serves me correct my cousin hooked the battery up wrong and melted the negative cable off in 2007, I just electrical taped it back together and it worked just fine until 2013 and it's been like that since, so it could just be that and it's not getting good ground! Who knows, but I'll be sure to work up the chain. Thanks for the advice!