Export thread

2 stroke fuel lines

B

Bearrepair

So just thought id throw something out there to see what people purchase for their fuel line replacements. I started out when i was younger buying stuff off ebay with the little knowledge i had at the time i didnt know better. Cheap fuel lines lead to more replacement later. Almost always they break down either during the season or after in storeage. Oem lines do better obviously but not everyone has local shops that like to just cut off some fuel line and charge you a buck or so for it. So the question for everyone is whats your favorite places to get parts such as fuel lines. Being the beginner topic. Im hopeing to spread the word with good parts places!

R

Rivets

Best place I would recommend is your local small engine repair shop. They are not going to install cheap line, unless they are a cheap dealer.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

I go to repair shops for what they do well but not for stuff like inexpensive parts as I feel I'm wasting their time. You can find quality hoses (including mower gas lines) in Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, RuralKing, or at your local auto parts store.

R

Rivets

With fuel line I have found you get what you pay for.

S

SeniorCitizen

Some automotive supplies keep a supply of hose that may be sold by the ft .

R

Rivets

I’ve found too many times the sales people at the Big Box store and many auto stores, don’t know the differences between fuel line and vacuum line, or the multiple sizes two stroke fuel in come in.

H

hlw49

We use and sell a lot of tygon fuel line. For molded hose you need to go back to the OEM or places like https://ahlbornequipment.com/ They have a lot of parts for Chain Saws.

StarTech

StarTech

I’ve found too many times the sales people at the Big Box store and many auto stores, don’t know the differences between fuel line and vacuum line, or the multiple sizes two stroke fuel in come in.
I been finding some sales people are such Space Cadets they don't even know how they got to work.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

I agree, but if someone's seeking advice in a big box store, they're in trouble before they walk in the door.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

So just thought id throw something out there to see what people purchase for their fuel line replacements. I started out when i was younger buying stuff off ebay with the little knowledge i had at the time i didnt know better. Cheap fuel lines lead to more replacement later. Almost always they break down either during the season or after in storeage. Oem lines do better obviously but not everyone has local shops that like to just cut off some fuel line and charge you a buck or so for it. So the question for everyone is whats your favorite places to get parts such as fuel lines. Being the beginner topic. Im hopeing to spread the word with good parts places!

If the fuel line is yellow, and looks like quality Tygon fuel line for handheld equipment, how are you supposed to know if it is good long term as opposed to crappy stuff? Inquiring minds want to know.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

If the fuel line is yellow, and looks like quality Tygon fuel line for handheld equipment, how are you supposed to know if it is good long term as opposed to crappy stuff? Inquiring minds want to know.
Buying a fuel line is no different from buying anything else. Find a reliable retailer then rely on them. Beyond that, don't buy a fuel hose selling for $.50/ft.

StarTech

StarTech

See this is where the knock offs takes advantage of the unsuspecting consumer. Most knock offs are lousy but when you buy from a good aftermarket company like Stens, Rotary, and Oregon you usually get good lines as their businesses depends on repeat business.

As for line lasting it all depends on storage, what the line is exposed to, and usage factors. I even had one time on a personal chainsaw that I installed Tygon lines but a week later line failed. I didn't even get to use the saw. I then redid the lines out the same box and had no further issues. I chalk it up to a defective section of line.

I won't not surprised that other shops like mine have found equipment right of the box with failed lines so the lines can fail never having fuel in them.
Buying a fuel line is no different from buying anything else. Find a reliable retailer then rely on them. Beyond that, don't buy a fuel hose selling for $.50/ft.
Yes it true prices are not like our fathers prices anymore; heck they not even like it was 15 yrs ago either. Even buy bulk line it cost nearly 0.75 per foot for a 50 ft roll of Tygon type line. Even that varies depending size and the vendor. I usually charge my customer the suggested retail (about 1.30 per ft) to help cover the waste line as even the best lines do go bad over time even properly stored. That price is still better the local retail stores which have even higher markups on small amounts.

B

Bearrepair

Honestly if its a good knock off ya cant just tell by looking but if you buy small sections and test them. Just like sitting in fuel tank if you leave them in a jar with some fuel even overnight and pull them out give them a little tug the cheap stuff will just come apart super easy the good stuff has no real change and can withstand a good amount of pull. Thats the only reliable way of testing ive found without installing anyway.

StarTech

StarTech

Honestly if its a good knock off ya cant just tell by looking but if you buy small sections and test them. Just like sitting in fuel tank if you leave them in a jar with some fuel even overnight and pull them out give them a little tug the cheap stuff will just come apart super easy the good stuff has no real change and can withstand a good amount of pull. Thats the only reliable way of testing ive found without installing anyway.
That is why I would not recommend buying the supposedly Ethanol resistance Stens True Blue fuel line. The first batch I order failed the submerged test. The failed on two items they it would not do. It got both hard and shrunk.

B

Bearrepair

That is why I would not recommend buying the supposedly Ethanol resistance Stens True Blue fuel line. The first batch I order failed the submerged test. The failed on two items they it would not do. It got both hard and shrunk.
You know ive never even purchased the blue lines at all before i always tell people to use ethenal free and i wont hafta see them again lol but thanks for the heads up tho! I wonder if any of these manufacturers ever really list what the lines are made of other then just *plastic* or just product name. At my main work i deal with alot of chemicals but pn larger scales and the difference in material for flexible transfer lines can vary wildly. Even tho they are just plastic! The manufacturing material matters!

B

bertsmobile1

Tygon is branded with their name and the grade of the hose
Unbranded is yellow cellulose plastic and crumbles in a season or so .