#2 head problems

smalltimerpm

Threads
It might has been discovered but I'm having issues with new kohler engines blowing #2 head gasket in between break in time...1 to 5 hours. The mowers are kept on display every day. I pull them in and out of shop everyday. There have been some Chilli mornings with some warm time. I have had at least 6 this year and counting, blow gaskets and they are all on number 2. I've tried multiple ways of making sense out of this from float valve to heat or valve clearance, all the way to the break in oil maybe carrying to much fuel mixture and by passing rings? Any kind of info would help. Is the mixture of the fuel and oil bypassing the rings causing this? Along with having the mesh head gasket from factory. Kohler provides you a gasket with compression ring for replacement but doesn't use it on assemble when it's new. Any kind of advice would help. Thanks

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would help us to help you if we knew the model and specification numbers of the engines that are having issues with.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you are a Kohler dealer and if these are failing under warranty then Kohler should be addressing the problem as t should not be happening to new engines.

smalltimerpm

Threads
If you are a Kohler dealer and if these are failing under warranty then Kohler should be addressing the problem as t should not be happening to new engines.
I agree but it would be nice to know what really is causing this to present to them. And or having the knowledge for any means. But I'm not kohler dealer.

Last edited:

DaveTN

Threads
Just off hand I was thinking it might be slightly warped
heads causing the #2 head gasket to blow. Strange it's
only #2 and not #1 and not just one case but several.
Maybe the heads weren't being torqued properly when
going down the assembly line on #2?

smalltimerpm

Threads
Just off hand I was thinking it might be slightly warped
heads causing the #2 head gasket to blow. Strange it's
only #2 and not #1 and not just one case but several.
Maybe the heads weren't being torqued properly when
going down the assembly line on #2?
I've checked torque on disassemble and what's even more strange the valve clearance on number 2 was slight to any but in my understanding that would make the valve open sooner and help compression right? Number one was set correctly. It was almost as they are trying to figure out the problem too since they are assembled that way.