2 Electrical questions on 721D

geoff

Threads
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1995 721D and am trying to make it as stock as possible. The previous owner replaced the stock switch for the headlights, which is a rocker type switch, with a metal toggle switch. In doing so, he also had to put an ugly homemade piece of metal to cover the larger hole where the rocker switch was originally. I have the replacement stock rocker switch but have a question. The toggle switch in there now, has only two connections, while the rocker switch has four terminals. My thought was, and I can check with a volt meter, is that on the rocker switch I only need one of each pair of terminals.. anyone know if I am correct on that? If i am not correct, how can I rewire this for the current two wire set up being used now??

My other question is this: this unit came with a power deck lift. The toggle switch currently there is a momentary type, ie, it sends current to lift the deck ONLY when the toggle switch is held in the UP position. I have found this to be less convenient than a switch that locks it in the UP position until it is toggled to the DOWN position. That way I can push the switch up, continue to use both hands on the control arms, and then toggle to the DOWN position when I want to. instead of trying to hold the switch in the UP position with one hand and try to operate both control arms with the other hand...Does anyone know if there is a reason this won't work or a reason I shouldn't do this? Thanks for your help and information...

Geoff

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like your rocker switch is a double pole single throw switch...
Just use either pair of the terminals... You can measure the switch with the ohm side of your meter, without power applied, just use a pair that opens and closes with the rocker...

If the lift has a upper limit switch that will stop the up drive regardless of what your manual direction switch is telling it, no problem... But if there is not an upper limit switch, YOU must open that circuit after it has traveled to the top... :smile:KennyV

geoff

Threads
It sounds like your rocker switch is a double pole single throw switch...
Just use either pair of the terminals... You can measure the switch with the ohm side of your meter, without power applied, just use a pair that opens and closes with the rocker...

If the lift has a upper limit switch that will stop the up drive regardless of what your manual direction switch is telling it, no problem... But if there is not an upper limit switch, YOU must open that circuit after it has traveled to the top... :smile:KennyV

Hi Kenny,

I had guessed as much about the rocker switch and did test it with an omh meter and you were right.. the light switch is replaced and working fine... I am not so sure I understand about the other switch and your comments on that... currently ( no pun intended) when I push and hold the toggle switch in its UP position, the deck lifts up but only stays that way until I let the toggle switch go, at which time, it returns to its neutral mechanical position and the deck descends... can you explain what you meant about the upper limit switch you mentioned before??? How can I tell if I do or don't have what you are talking about....thanks

Geoff

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey geoff...
Is the deck lift an electric servo lift, or a hydraulic lift?
I had figured it was electric servo, because it was switch operated... But from your description it could be electric over hydraulic...
Here are the diagrams for your mower, including the electrical circuits...
The Mower Shop, Inc. - Home Page
I don't see the lift circuit... :smile:KennyV

geoff

Threads
Kenny,

The true answer is.... I don't have any idea which it is.. on the control box, next to the clutch switch that operates the blades is a Toggle switch that is labeled Deck Lift and its a factory item, not one added by the previous owner.. I am not sure how to tell whether or not is an electric lift or servo/hydraulic .. if you know of a way to find out, I will try it.. sorry to be so ignorant of these things but just getting into them... thanks

Geoff

PS its not a big deal if I leave it the way it is.. but my thinking was this: if I can hold the toggle in the up position and that will keep the deck up and that won't damage anything, what would the difference be if I let the switch "hold" it in the UP position? But I may be too simplistic in my approach to this.. thanks again

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should be able to see the lift mechanism.. If it has hydraulic hoses it is electric over hydraulic... if it is an electric servo motor, it will not have hoses.
I have a friend that has a 721D... the next time I'm at his place I'll look, unless you could post a picture of the lift.

:smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
the hydraulic lift will have two hydraulic cylinders,one on either side of the deck that attach to the rockers.they should have hoses going into the cylinders.on an elec. lift there should only be one mechanism to lift the deck and from what I've seen it should be located on the left hand side of the deck.there would be an elec. motor and should be operated there to raise and lower the deck whereas the hydraulic one would be operated by a switch in the console russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great russ...
I figured you would be familiar with both type lifts... this should allow identification as to what type is on that mower...
And then IF what he wants to do is practical or possible .... :smile:KennyV

geoff

Threads
HI Russ,

Nice to meet you and thank you for the information. I am guessing I have the hydraulic lift then, since my deck lift IS operated by a toggle switch on the console. I will confirm this the next time I lift up the deck. Not sure if you also saw where I asked the question of whether or not I could replace this toggle switch with another toggle switch which would hold the deck UP until I toggled the switch back to neutral, or down. Presently, and I believe its a stock switch, I have to hold the toggle in the UP position for as long as I want to keep the deck up. Its only a problem if I want the deck to stay up and still be able to operate both control arms with both hands... or I can grow a third hand...:)

Russ also mentioned that you might know if there is a manual that I can buy, other than the owners manual that came with it, that might go into greater depth on the servicing of these mowers and the decks. I haven't been able to locate any aftermarket manuals that I can learn more about this mower from. Thanks

geoff