1st Zero turn purchase, have a few questions.

BriGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking to purchase a zero turn. I have some little slope so I want a roll bar. Also my teenager will use as well. I only have a couple acres, and the need for a roll bar puts me at a higher price point. I am looking at a Husky MZ54, though Husky z448 is only $200 more when buying a package. For the slope, to be safe, what matter the most, I assume width of tires and weight? Also, are there any residential mowers that offer the roll bar option? I was considering the Gravelt ZT HD but a service technician steered me away becuase serious vibration issues and frame issues. I have seen others use a zero turn on my lawn so I know the slope isn’t too bad. Please let me k kw any suggestions you might have.

wrldtvlr

Threads
Zero turns tend to have a reasonably wide track, so I'm not convinced roll bars are all that helpful. More of an OSHA requirement, I think. I guess where they might be useful is if you lose traction, slide sideways, then hit something that causes the unit to roll. You also need to define "little slope." Zero turns with lap bar steering have front free caster wheels. Once you exceed 10-15 degrees of slope the rear drive wheels have to compensate for the front and tend to dig up the turf. A steerable zero turn or a small 4 wheel steer tractor might work better for your needs.