1995 721D price

gh8165

Forum Newbie
Threads
I.m looking at a 1995 GH 721D with a 72 inch deck. It has 1248hrs and is in decent shape as far as I can tell. $2800 is what they are asking. What should I be concerned about most? Do the electric pto have issues, is the 72 inch deck to big for the 21hp?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...
There are several 721D here already... That's a good price...
72inch deck is a nice deck size... You have a Kubota Diesel engine... great

Electric PTO are very dependable, use common sense and low rpm when you engage it...
You will get a lifetime of good use from that mower... :smile:KennyV

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Welcome aboard! I just picked up a '97 721D with the 72" deck also. Mine has 904 hrs and I paid $3200 for it. It's a beast and really knocks down the amount of time I spend mowing. Just needs a few tweaks and some clean up and you'd never know it was 14 years old. I sure love mine so far.:biggrin:

gh8165

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I trying to compare a 2006 Kubota ZG327 60 inch deck to the 721D, the Kubota is a little more $ and less hours. Gas vs diesel, front mount vs mid mount, maint cost.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Well I know from past experience that a diesel engine will last longer than a similar-sized (HP) gas motor, has MUCH better fuel economy vs. gas and offers excellent rated HP-to-useable HP ratio. There's no reason to believe that those benefits would be any different for an engine that's being used in a mower. The 72" deck will obviously cut more than the 61" which equates to even less wear & tear on the GH than the gas-powered Kubota. Check the other components of the mower: wheel motors, pulley & belt wear, check engine & hydro oil condition (is it thin & clean... or thick & sludgy?) Those will be good indicators of whether the mowers(s) you're looking at have been well taken care of or "ridden hard and put away wet." Also, if the current owner(s) can produce ALL paperwork including all service receipts that's another big plus; you'll be able to check back into the machine's history and see exactly what was done to them and when/how often.

Good luck!

gh8165

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advise. I bought the GH 721D today, I found the Kubota to be a trade in from a lawn service= very hard and rough 865 hours. The GH runs like a new one, both motor and trans oil looked clean, belts and hydro motors work as they should. I think I bought a good mower! Any idea where I can get a Owners manual? Want to know where all the grease zirks are, what kind and how much fluid it needs. The only thing I've noticed is that the control arms are kind of sticky in movement. Not sure if theres a spot to grease or an adjustment that I could make to help?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I spent a couple of hours this evening starting the initial clean-up on the 721D that I just bought. I sprayed PB penetrating oil on everything that moves: brake & throttle levers linkage, steering levers and all actuating linkage, pulley hubs, anti-scalp hubs, etc. Even the seat latch and hinges! If it moved, I soaked it! LOL! I need to go into town tomorrow and pick up some more moly-lithium grease for my grease gun, too. I ran out the last time I greased the deck on my John Deere. Afterwards, I'll hit every zerk I can find on the 'Hopper to smooth out all the grease-able moving parts & pieces.

Tonight I also pulled all of the fuses (one-at-a-time), lightly sanded each one with very fine sandpaper to clean any corrosion off, then sprayed each corresponding slot in the fuse block with fast-drying plastic-safe CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner, then brushed on a thin coat of dielectric grease on each fuse before re-inserting. Tomorrow morning I'm going to unbolt the master control box "pod" and use my compressor's airgun to blow everything out from the underside of it and then clean all of the wiring/electrical contacts and lightly grease them as well. Hopefully that will eliminate any possible erratic electrical gremlins.

I put a third of a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank when the owner first dropped it off and ran that tank out. Just re-fueled tonight. The motor pushed a little extra black exhaust for a while but then it smoothed right out. It starts much easier now and seems to run a bit smoother. I plan to put a little Seafoam into the crankcase too, let it run for a bit and then change the engine oil & filter. All it'll need after all of that is a nice, new set of Gator Blades and it'll be ready & raring to go!

You should be able to order any literature you need from your local GH dealer... or if there isn't one nearby you can easily order the documentation you need from an online retailer. There are several websites I found that specialize in GH stuff, as well as those webstores that sell for most ALL major mower companies. I've bought a few things already from this website:

The Mower Shop, Inc. - Grasshopper Mowers Parts Diagrams, Front Mount 721D

These guys have microfiches for most GH models & accessories. It really helps if you're unsure of what a particular part is "officially" referred to as; you can look at the exploded drawings and see if the part in the picture matches the part(s) that you need. The-Mower-Shop-Inc seems to have about the lowest prices around, judging from the various GH/mower websites I've checked, (although there may be other websites with even lower prices). If anyone reading this has discovered a reliable, dirt-cheap online source please share with the rest of us!!

Good luck getting your 721D all squared away & ship-shape!