1993 Honda Harmony 215 stalls easily - low power?

relative4

Threads
I bought a Honda HRM215SXA at a yard sale. I fueled it up, and it started on the first pull. So I changed the oil and spark plug, checked the air filter, and ran it for a bit. Everything seems to work perfectly, except it seems to have low power - stalls easily under any load. When I engage the blade, it almost stalls. If I engage the blade in contact with grass, it definitely stalls. If I run it into high grass, it stalls.

I haven't rebuilt the carburetor, as I'm not seeing any clear evidence of mixture problems. It cold starts fine with the choke, hot starts fine without the choke. No surging. Throttle response is normal, and engine sound is smooth. No smoking.

What are my next steps to figure out why this thing is so weak? Thanks!

Rokon

Threads
It sounds as though you bought this mower used, yes? If so the history of the mower is unknown.

While a flywheel key being sheared can exhibit similar symptoms as you are experiencing, I'm leaning towards fuel delivery. When you go under load, the governor opens the throttle for more fuel. Since this is where you are having a problem, most likely, you have an obstruction in the carburetor.

If you don't want to remove the carb, you could remove the float bowl and see what things look like. That will give some insight if the carb needs to come off for a deep clean.

relative4

Threads
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not at all opposed to pulling and rebuilding the carb, just want to be as sure as possible I'm barking up the right tree, not waste time, etc. If that's the next step, that's what I'll do.

Before going that route, should I pull the blade & clutch to check the flywheel key? Any specific symptoms I should look for to indicate that problem? When engaging the blade, I get a pretty good squeak, is that normal?

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Ha. I know the answers to these questions now, but I'm 5 years too late!
It's the bearing in the blade clutch going bad, most likely.