Export thread

1990 MTD 2 stage model #319550 motor replacement?

C

charley95

The motor on my MTD snowblower is getting tired since purchasing new in 1990. I'm thinking of just putting a new replacement engine on it. I'm finding engines everywhere online but no info. as to my application. Can anyone here give me some tips as to how to find the right model for my application? It's a Tecumpseh 5 hp model. If I could increase HP that would be great also!

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

R

Rivets

Personally I would not put a new engine on a unit that is 23 years old. I would tell you that the odds are not in your favor that you will get your money out of that engine. I would recommend that if you are serious about repowering, there are tons of good old Tecumseh Snow King engines out there which will do the job for you. Right now you probably have a H, HH, or HM engine on your unit. Ex: HM50. The 50 means 5hp. You can use a 70 or 80 with no problem. Just my opinion.

Carscw

Carscw

I would find a used engine. You can use a 8hp briggs

R

Rivets

If you knew anything about snowblower engines, you would know that the Tecumseh Snow King engine was the best cold weather engine built. Even 20 year old ones are better than today's new engines.

Carscw

Carscw

If you knew anything about snowblower engines, you would know that the Tecumseh Snow King engine was the best cold weather engine built. Even 20 year old ones are better than today's new engines.

Ok He can still use a briggs if he wants to. He asked what other engine could he use.

And yes I know it is a good engine but he is not looking for a 20 year old engine he already has one

C

charley95

Personally I would not put a new engine on a unit that is 23 years old. I would tell you that the odds are not in your favor that you will get your money out of that engine. I would recommend that if you are serious about repowering, there are tons of good old Tecumseh Snow King engines out there which will do the job for you. Right now you probably have a H, HH, or HM engine on your unit. Ex: HM50. The 50 means 5hp. You can use a 70 or 80 with no problem. Just my opinion.

I'll probably take it to my local small engine guy and have him look at it. The only thing I have done to the engine in all these years is annually change oil and plug. I would assume it probably needs carb. looked at and cleaned. It would always start on first pull up until this season.

R

Rivets

With a little searching you can find a Tecumseh engine less than ten years old. Tecumseh did not cease engine production until 2008. He said he had a 5 HP and asked what model not brand he could replace it with.

Carscw

Carscw

With a little searching you can find a Tecumseh engine less than ten years old. Tecumseh did not cease engine production until 2008. He said he had a 5 HP and asked what model not brand he could replace it with.

Yes sir sorry I spoke out of turn

R

Rivets

Nice sarcasm, but someday you might realize I'm not just another pretty face around here. Stick to your race cars and landscaping, both things you really know about.

Carscw

Carscw

Anyways you can use a briggs if you want to as it will be cheaper and easier to find one.

exotion

exotion

Nice sarcasm, but someday you might realize I'm not just another pretty face around here. Stick to your race cars and landscaping, both things you really know about.

I'm the pretty face around here :) nothing else to contribute to this convo just needed to lighten the mood lol

C

charley95

The manual says the motor is a HS-50 snow king. I'm thinking carb. needs serviced. ex. hard starting,won't idle at low setting
Used for 4 hours solid yesterday and used no oil, so I'm hoping motor is still good?

R

Rivets

You are on the right track, find a shop that either has an ultrasonic cleaner or uses a carb bath. After cleaning, Have them replace all parts with a rebuild kit. This manual might help you, if you decide to do any of the work yourself.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

C

charley95

You are on the right track, find a shop that either has an ultrasonic cleaner or uses a carb bath. After cleaning, Have them replace all parts with a rebuild kit. This manual might help you, if you decide to do any of the work yourself.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

Thanks for the tip. Probably have the shop tackle the carb. All other misc. parts I can handle myself. Do you recommend my mower parts for replacement parts?

R

Rivets

99% of the time I recommend getting parts at your local repair shop. They will look up the part numbers, order them, install if you want and will take them back if someone looks up the wrong number.

C

charley95

99% of the time I recommend getting parts at your local repair shop. They will look up the part numbers, order them, install if you want and will take them back if someone looks up the wrong number.

Thanks for your help. Are the replacement carbs. any good? I don't mind purchasing a new one and installing myself, I just never liked rebuilding carbs. All of the other stuff I don't mind tackling.

exotion

exotion

Thanks for your help. Are the replacement carbs. any good? I don't mind purchasing a new one and installing myself, I just never liked rebuilding carbs. All of the other stuff I don't mind tackling.

That's kinda how I feel ....because new is new

Carscw

Carscw

Going new is always the best way. Look on eBay

R

Rivets

New carb will probably run you around $75 + shipping. As mechanic in a dealership I always try to repair any carb costing more that $50. Remember, I have to use a different set of rules than the landscape mechanics.

exotion

exotion

New carb will probably run you around $75 + shipping. As mechanic in a dealership I always try to repair any carb costing more that $50. Remember, I have to use a different set of rules than the landscape mechanics.

And that's all good but can you guarentee the same functionality and longevity or life vs new and what would he be looking at for price of cleaning and rebuild plus labor you said new was 75+shipping so well say 85 vs your quote just out of curiosity. If there was only 10 to 20 dollar difference I personally would just by myself a new one that way I know what I am starting with and knowing I can take care of it I could make it last but that's just me.

Fish

Fish

Oregon carried some aftermarket Chinese carbs that fit Tecumseh for a year or so, but they dropped them for some reason. I would guess that the reason was quality,
just like the junk Chinese starters that are sold everywhere. So you want to make sure that the new carb is actually "Tecumseh" made, otherwise just go through the old carb.

Sounds like the O.P. could just be fine with a quick jet cleaning and/or choke cable adjustment, and of course carb readjustment...

If it runs that good, he would be crazy to try to replace it, as that old Tecumseh is better made than anything he could buy today!!!!

R

Rivets

The carb he will need for that engine is an adjustable carb, which means if the OP does not know how to adjust carbs he will need to have a mechanic look at it anyway. Also, most carbs are not returnable if purchased on line. Cost of rebuilding a carb varies greatly because of a variety of carbs, on/off engine, condition of carb and experience of the mechanic. Cost in our shop for cleaning and rebuilding carb ranges between $60-100, depending on the unit. If I only have the carb, it would cost about $25 + parts. In that case I would not be making the final adjustments.

exotion

exotion

The carb he will need for that engine is an adjustable carb, which means if the OP does not know how to adjust carbs he will need to have a mechanic look at it anyway. Also, most carbs are not returnable if purchased on line. Cost of rebuilding a carb varies greatly because of a variety of carbs, on/off engine, condition of carb and experience of the mechanic. Cost in our shop for cleaning and rebuilding carb ranges between $60-100, depending on the unit. If I only have the carb, it would cost about $25 + parts. In that case I would not be making the final adjustments.

A new carb is not adjustable (I believe they can't make those anymore) therefore it would not need adjustments so he's looking at 60-100 to rebuild a carb vs 85 for a new one. My old tecumseh I replaced carb I believe it was 60 and 2 bolts. That being said it is rather nice to have an adjustable carb so that needs to be taken into consideration as well hard choice I guess if the shop guarenteed the work I would take you just the carb to get rebuilt and cleaned because that adjustment is nice as the new carbs generally run to lean. I'll go with rivets here

C

charley95

A new carb is not adjustable (I believe they can't make those anymore) therefore it would not need adjustments so he's looking at 60-100 to rebuild a carb vs 85 for a new one. My old tecumseh I replaced carb I believe it was 60 and 2 bolts. That being said it is rather nice to have an adjustable carb so that needs to be taken into consideration as well hard choice I guess if the shop guarenteed the work I would take you just the carb to get rebuilt and cleaned because that adjustment is nice as the new carbs generally run to lean. I'll go with rivets here

This is good to know. I'm more automotive inclined and never liked messing with carbs. I figured a replacement would not have the older style adjustments due to the enviro-police. I would guess if a original Tecumseh made would be chinese also? I'm glad I still have a well made engine. It's too bad we can't buy quality parts anymore,it's sure this way in the automotive business.

exotion

exotion

This is good to know. I'm more automotive inclined and never liked messing with carbs. I figured a replacement would not have the older style adjustments due to the enviro-police. I would guess if a original Tecumseh made would be chinese also? I'm glad I still have a well made engine. It's too bad we can't buy quality parts anymore,it's sure this way in the automotive business.

I think original is American it is an old American company

R

Rivets

Most Tecumseh replacements parts are produced CPC (Certified Parts Corporation) in Janesville Wisconsin. They purchased most of the Tecumseh-Lausen line when Tecumseh stopped producing engines in 2008. It is my understanding that they are looking at producing a tecumseh engine in the future.

Carscw

Carscw

I have a 17.5hp Tecumseh on my rally mud mower. I have beat the crap out of this engine running wide open 80% of the time
It just keeps going I have blown up a few briggs in less than half the abuse. Thinking of putting it on a rer snapper.

R

Rivets

Many of the original adjustable carbs are still available. They are not superseded to a nonadjustable carb. If the OP would post the spec number for his engine,, I would be able to tell if an adjustable carb is available.

exotion

exotion

Many of the original adjustable carbs are still available. They are not superseded to a nonadjustable carb. If the OP would post the spec number for his engine,, I would be able to tell if an adjustable carb is available.

Man I wish one was available for my old sno throw lol my old one was not rebuildable it was so coroded that all the parts were rusted together couldn't even get the needle out of the hole

C

charley95

Thanks! Here are the engine #'s I have,

HS 50 67267H SER 8270B

R

Rivets

Here is what I have found about your carb. The original carb for your engine was #632107. This was an adjustable carb. It was superseded by carb #640084H, which is nonadjustable. If you do a Google search for a Tecumseh adjustable carb #632107, you will find that they are still available out there. You must be very careful, because some people and businesses say they can get you one, but then try to make you purchase the nonadjustable one. BE CAREFUL. If you would like to rebuild your existing carb, the rebuild kit is #31840. I recommend that you contact the most trust worthy repair shop in your area and work through them. Make sure that you explain exactly what you want done. Hope this helps.